Triaxis with a Marshall EL34 100/100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experiences with this combination? Any reason why it wouldn't work or sound good? I have the opportunity to pick these pieces up locally but from separate sellers, no way of trying it out before hand...

What do you guys think?

#2121313 said:
Has anyone had any experiences with this combination? Any reason why it wouldn't work or sound good? I have the opportunity to pick these pieces up locally but from separate sellers, no way of trying it out before hand...

What do you guys think?

I've run a similar combination for about 6 months - in my case, a Marshall 9200 which is the immediate predecessor to the EL34 100/100, but with 6L6 type tubes (actually, 5881). It sounds fine and works fine and I have had no problems with the combination. But I recently picked up a Mesa 2:90 power amp and I must say the combination is better for me. Tonally they seem to match just a bit better. If I didn't have the 2:90, I would have been quite happy to continue with the Triaxis/Marshall combination though. There is nothing wrong with it and it probably is capable of a tone that the Mesa isn't. It's all about what you want. I found the sound with the Marshall to be a bit more raw and edgy - more of a classic rock tone. With the 2:90, it's smoother and more modern sounding. Depends what you like.

That should sound great....IIRC, Joe Satriani recorded his earlier albums with a Mesa Quad pre into the power section of a Marshall 100w head (can't recall which model). Listen to "Surfin'" or earlier to get an idea.....

I have a Triaxis with the 50/50 and I like that combo just fine. Different sound than a Marshall however.

It's always a matter of taste, but the Marshall amp with the Triaxis will definitely sound good! :D

Don't do it. It's sort of blasphemous to pair a Marshall power amp with a Boogie preamp. OK... but some guys do it and like it. So maybe do it. :p

1. If you love Boogie tone, don't do it. The EL-34 based Marshall power amp sounds very different than a 6L6 Boogie power amp, and the Simul-Class 2:Ninety in particular has a VERY unique signature sound that gives the Marks series its tone.

2. Pair that Marshall power amp with the Marshall JMP-1 MIDI Tube Preamp for classic Marshall tone. I played this rig before falling in love with Boogie tone.

3. Marshall power amps are NOISY!!! With high gain sounds in your Triaxis, I'd bet you'll need a noise gate (a stereo one, of course). The Boogie power amps are extremely quiet, especially the 2:Ninety. I had one of my Marshall power amps modded just to reduce the noise.

Scott

#2121313 said:

What do you guys think?

Did you get the Marshall power amp? If you like it, keep it. If you still want to experiment, get a Mesa 2:100 for comparison. The 2:100 has a bias select for 6L6/EL34s. Huge tone and lots of Marshally flavor with EL34s.

Ive ran my triaxis into my vht 2150 and also the vht classic...and it slays!..but I think a key is to the 2 90's master up to noon or 1 oclock..Then it com :D es alive.

scottkahn said:
Don't do it. It's sort of blasphemous to pair a Marshall power amp with a Boogie preamp. OK... but some guys do it and like it. So maybe do it. :p

1. If you love Boogie tone, don't do it. The EL-34 based Marshall power amp sounds very different than a 6L6 Boogie power amp, and the Simul-Class 2:Ninety in particular has a VERY unique signature sound that gives the Marks series its tone.

2. Pair that Marshall power amp with the Marshall JMP-1 MIDI Tube Preamp for classic Marshall tone. I played this rig before falling in love with Boogie tone.

3. Marshall power amps are NOISY!!! With high gain sounds in your Triaxis, I'd bet you'll need a noise gate (a stereo one, of course). The Boogie power amps are extremely quiet, especially the 2:Ninety. I had one of my Marshall power amps modded just to reduce the noise.

Scott

Sorry I don't agree.
I run the triaxis through a sterep EL34 brunetti and if anyone tried to guess the tubes they would say they were 6L6's. They were not. EL=british is a myth.

I also loved pairing the jmp-1 with a fender twin power amp and it did have classic marhsall tone. Maybe not plexi marshall tone. But it matched perfectly. 6L6=american tone is a myth.

I do agree on the unique signature of every power amp though. In generall I think that the circuit sculptures the sound much more than the power tubes...

Just for the record, the Marshall 9200 uses 5881's or 6L6's......not EL34's.

srommes said:
Just for the record, the Marshall 9200 uses 5881's or 6L6's......not EL34's.

I did point that out clearly in my post. I'm wasn't trying to mislead anyone, my main point is that different poweramps can be quite acceptable with the Triaxis - the listener must be the judge. I agree with glorikas81 - the sound of an amp is more than just the type of tube it uses. The Marshall 9200 doesn't sound that much different to the EL34 100 - they have an unmistakable Marshall sound in them.

I've been using a Mesa Quad with a Marshall EL34 50/50 for some time now and it just sounds nothing short of magical. The EL34 replaced a Mesa fiftty/fifty and prior to making the swap, i've compared both poweramps and the EL34 matched the Quad a lot better but YMMV.

The fifty/fifty on it's own sounded very good, but compared to the EL34, it souded very thin indeed.
For mid to hi-gain, the 50/50 is relatively on par but for cleans and crunch, the EL34 just add's more life, bloom, depth and warmth to the sound. Mind you, the fifty/fifty was fitted with 4 Svetlana Winged C's, the EL34 is fitted with Tungsol's.

I also own a Marshall 9005 with one half using Tungsol EL34 en the other half using Tungsol 6L6. Although the EL34 50/50 sounds better/meatier the 9005 does do the Quad justice, be it in blended mode (both channels on, be it in 6L6 mode or EL34 mode.

A poweramp is very important, but my guess is that it's not at all paramount that one should pair a Mesa preamp with a Mesa poweramp. It sounds vastly different, that much is true but IMHO, a quality preamp should sound great on any QUALITY poweramp. Just my 2 cents

I run the TriAxis into my Marshall JVM's poweramp for chuckles sometimes and I always end up seriously considering that tone as my main (but I don't use it since it's obviously very impractical and each amp separately sounds awesome anyway). It's not the same poweramp as the EL34 100/100 but I dare say a TriAxis and a Marshall poweramp go well together.

Wasn't "Master of Puppets" recorded with MkIIC+ pre plugged into Marshall's power section ?

There is no rule that states Boogie preamps must go with Boogie power amps. I encourage you to try the Marshall power amp. I myself am running a Studio Pre through EL-34s and love it.

My power amp is a Boogie/Marshall hybrid - it's got a Boogie power tranny with a Marshall output tranny and a Marshall choke. :lol:

crane said:
Wasn't "Master of Puppets" recorded with MkIIC+ pre plugged into Marshall's power section ?

Not wanting to stray too much off-topic, but yes, a MkIIC+ slaved into a JCM800.

Latest posts

Back