Need Help setting up my rack before I go loopy!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradlaw74

Reaction score
Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me as I am so confused!! I need advice, diagrams to help setup my first rack system.

My equipment is as follows:

Aphex 109 Parametric Tube Eq
DMC System Mix Dual Stereo Line Mixer
GCX Guitar Audio Switcher with Ground Control
TC Electronics G-Major
DBX 166XL Compresor\Limiter\Gate
Kirk Hammett Wah Wah
Ibanez Tube Screamer modified by Analogman
Mesa Boogie Triaxis
Mesa Boogie Simul Class 2:90 Power Amp
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Triple Channel with Weber Mass 150 as Dummy Load
Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab

Basicly I want all this to run through the 2:90 and so far I have it setup as the following:

Guitar > GCX Feed Thru > Loop1 = Wah > Loop2 =Tube Screamer > Loop 3=G-Major > Loop 4 = Triaxis > Loop 5 = Rectifier > GCX Out > System Mix - Mix 1 in1 > System Mix - Mix 2 Out > Aphex EQ > DBX Noise Gate > Mesa 2:90

This config doesn't sound bad but when I try to mix the Triaxis and Recto it sounds awful!! Now....Clearly I have no idea how to set this up so any help would be appreciated.

I am trying to get as near to that Metallica sound as possible!!

Please use diagrams if possible for simplicity sake - Thanks Guys

Hello. If it was me I'd run it in the following manor:

Guitar > GCX Feed Thru > Loop1 = Wah > Loop2 =Tube Screamer > Loop 3=G-Major >Y cable to the inputs of the Triaxis and Rectifier. The Triaxis and Rectifier outs then go into the System Mix so you can mix BOTH signals together. From there you go out of of the system mix to the following > Aphex EQ > DBX Noise Gate > Mesa 2:90

Of course there are some limits to this. You will only be running the rig in mono. (Which is fine as long as you want mono) You will not be able to run the Triaxis and Rectifier by themselves. You will also need a buffer after the guitar feed. You can either use the buffer in the GCX (Which I don't like much but, you can at least give it a try) or get an Axess BS-2 or some other equivalent.

If you wanted the option to run the Rectifier, Triaxis or a mix of both you would can do it but, it will take up (4) loops. Since you are only using Loops 1-3 then it would be possible. Let me know and I can draw up the diagram and attach it. Of course you'll still need a buffer and it will still be in mono.

I wouldn't put the g-major before your pre-amps. Rack processors like that should go after the pre-amp. They just sound better there.

Hi Jmcthe3rd,

I would like to have the option of being able to use the recto and triaxis seperately as well as mixed.

Could you do the diagram fo me pleasse as this would be most helpful.

Cheers

Brad

Sorry for the delay. I have created the GCX doc but, I don't know how to attach it since it's located on my local machine. Send me an e-mail @ [email protected] and I'll respond with the attachment. It includes the G-Major after the preamps.

I uploaded it via filefactory. Here's the link.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/a07g22f/n/GCX102809_jpg

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help - I can't wait to try it out! I have ordered a y cable so will have to wait until that arrives (for some reason in Australia they don't seem to be all that easy to get).

I will let you know how I go once I receive the cable.

Thanks for the diagram too - totally awesome!!

Cheers - Brad

Do you plan to have the Aphex EQ and DBX 166XL on at all times? Or only for certain patches/sounds?

Is your Triple Rectifier a two or three channel? If it is a three channel, do you plan to use the SOLO feature?

Also, I take it that your GCX does not have the stereo mod (you don't say whether it does or not so I figured I should ask)?

zeeman

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay but so much has happened since my last post.......

I tried the Y cable with the rescto and was quite impressed but still wasn't getting the tone I wanted. I have since sold the recto and bought another triaxis with the phat mod, (also bought a rack wah too!).

I pressume this would be best set up the same as Jmcthe3rd post?
Although I decided to put the EQ in the loops of the triaxis instead.

The DBX 166XL is really only needed with the distorted sounds and the GCX does not have the stereo mod.

Any more suggestions are welcome

Brad

Latest posts

Back