50/50 which tubes for which channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synner88tc

Reaction score
hey guy's

i have a mesa 50/50, i think it is the newer version (?) it has a blue power light. i am trying to figure out which of the 4 tubes represent which channels (A and B)

i picked up a pair of yellow jackets adaptors and i want to audition the tone in one channel and a/b it against stock.

so i went through a bunch of old threads and found both answers: left/right, and inside/outside. i dont want to mess up my amp by running a 6l6 and a el84 together on 1 channel, so i am hoping someone has a confident answer for me

cam

The old version, with 3 swirches on the left (power, stdby and hi/lo power) has the tubes separated left/right for the two channels.

rack.jpg

I dont know for the new version (red light ? only power and stdby switches)

2-Fifty-Front-LG.jpg

thanks!

i guess i was confused, i though there was 2 versions of the old 50/50 which is what i have.

mine is exactly like in the first pic.

i will post some results when i try it out tonight.

cam

The tubes are located this way :

back
I B B A A I---------------
I
I
I
I
I_________a_a__b_b___I
front

A, B: Tubes
a, b : channel controls

well i can confirm that is indeed the order, many thanks!

i only had a few min to play so i will come back with results later.

cam

Yep.
Plug BOTH speakers and remove the 2 left tubes (or right). Turn the amp on and see if sound is coming from both spakers or not. If only one speaker.. well.. speaks then it's the same arrangement as the old 50/50. If sound comes out from both but distorted and weak, then it's an ABBA arrangement.

Back