Studio Preamp: Recording or Main outputs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talltxguy

Reaction score
Some dude on Harmony Central said that when using the studio preamp at home, use the recording outputs into your power amp because it smooths out the tone at low volumes and lowers the output. He said to use the main outputs when playing live and louder.

Any experience with this? I'm scared to plug the recording outs into a power amp. I don't wanna hurt the preamp since I just got it!

Appreciate any insights...

You absolutely WON'T hurt the preamp. Those outputs are just voiced differently. The recording outs are supposed to sort of emulate the sound of a power amp and cabinet, but they don't hold candle to a good cabinet emulator unit. Personally, I prefer the recording outs because they have a warmer and smoother EQ scheme. When using the main outs, I find that the treble knob is less usable and makes the tone a bit too fizzy above 5.

when using the studio preamp at home, use the recording outputs into your power amp because it smooths out the tone at low volumes and lowers the output. He said to use the main outputs when playing live and louder.

I've actually never heard this - using the different outs for different volumes. Don't take that at face value though, we don't know what power amp or cabinet configuration this guy was using. It probably won't benefit everyone. My Studio Pre's Recording Outs sound great loud!

If you want to check out my Studio Pre videos, you can check them out here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SmelMyFinger

One vid is sound clips and settings and the other vid is a lecture on how to configure the amp.

Hope it helps.

I use the fx send 'cause I like the tone the best. I opened a thread about that months ago, you can search for it.

ytse_jam said:
I use the fx send 'cause I like the tone the best. I opened a thread about that months ago, you can search for it.

I just started using the fx send as my main outs and it does sound better to my ears than the other outputs.

You absolutely WON'T hurt the preamp. Those outputs are just voiced differently. The recording outs are supposed to sort of emulate the sound of a power amp and cabinet, but they don't hold candle to a good cabinet emulator unit. Personally, I prefer the recording outs because they have a warmer and smoother EQ scheme. When using the main outs, I find that the treble knob is less usable and makes the tone a bit too fizzy above 5.

I've actually never heard this - using the different outs for different volumes. Don't take that at face value though, we don't know what power amp or cabinet configuration this guy was using. It probably won't benefit everyone. My Studio Pre's Recording Outs sound great loud!

If you want to check out my Studio Pre videos, you can check them out here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SmelMyFinger
One vid is sound clips and settings and the other vid is a lecture on how to configure the amp.

Hope it helps.
Is there any contraindications to using the rec outs into one amp, and simultaneously using the main outs to a separate amp?

Back