Different Versions of the TX4 Rectifierboard

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bibo

Reaction score
## UPDATE 28/OCT/2014 ## Picture of TX5 added! ##

Hi folks,
here we gonna take a closer look on the different Versions of the Rectifierboard.
The pictures are big, please use scrollbars if needed.

TX4 Version B:

50Q2PON.jpg

TX4 Version C:

5M8XSoq.jpg

TX4 Version D:

Xx9yU5C.jpg

TX5 Version A:

lI2wIne.jpg

Personally i have now played all Versions of the Triaxis:
Version 1,
Version 2 with TX4 B/C/D,
Version 2 with all TX4 boards FAT modded and NonFAT
and the new TX5

For me the best sounding Triaxis is: "Version 2 with a TX4-D FAT"
The Leadsound of the LD1-Red Channel on this Version is absolutly
awesome and i never want to go without it.

The TX5 is the most disappointing Sound i have ever heard.
Its a total letdown, a Triaxis with a TX5 is a total devaluation of
LD1-Red. Worthless, you don't want to hear it. No gain, no bite,
no agression in Sound, no searing, no singing, nothing. That Sound
is quite dead. Mesa really did the wrong decision on that.

If you look at the upper left corner you'll see a capacitor just kind of hanging out attached directly to a resistor on the TX4C board. On the D revision that capacitor was given space directly on the board. The reason for it not being included on the board originally I don't know. All C revisions I've seen have that cap on them, so I don't know if there are some that don't. Seeing as how the TX4 board has most of the tone stack on it, I would assume that the cap is part of the tone stack.

What are the serial #'s of your different version TX4 pre's?

Most of the changes seem to be just better board layouts.

I really would like to see a Version A (if existing), any Version with a FAT-MOD done on the Rectifierboard and the new TX5. Anyone can help?

Bibo said:
I really would like to see a Version A (if existing), any Version with a FAT-MOD done on the Rectifierboard and the new TX5. Anyone can help?

I have updated the thread with a Picture of the TX5A. See first post.

Thanks for posting these and for sharing your opinions on the different versions. Your statement about the TX4 version D sounds encouraging as that's exactly what I just sent to Mesa Boogie for repair and "refurbishing" (they don't like the term it turns out).

Had a nice chat with one of the customer service folks there. Turns out that the discontinuation of the TX4 is more a matter of necessity with respect to availability of parts than anything else. But they do still repair them when installed instead of swapping them out for a TX5.

I'll post my results once I get it back in a few weeks.

Hi guys

Resurrecting this thread!

Bought a TA this summer. Guy said it was a v1, but when I started it up display says 2.0
Opening up the TA reveals that this was a v2.0 with TX4 B board made in 1992.
Serial T1648. (found out later that v2.0 started on T1630)
Strange thing is that the TX4 board connection is soldered and not connected with flat cable.
Also some bigger caps inside.

Someone know what was done with the earliest models of v2.0?
Looks modded, but I really could not tell, and serial says v.2.0

What google said about serials:
Units with serial #'s T0001 to T1629 are Version 1 w/o Midi/recording out circuit upgrade
Units with serial #'s T1630 to T8278 are Version 2 w/ TX4 "Vintage Rectifier" Lead 1 red circuit and Midi/recording out circuit upgrade
Units with serial #'s T8279 and up are Version 2 w/ TX5 "Phat Mod" Lead 1 red circuit and Midi/recording out circuit upgrade

And did I say it sounds killer?? Well LD1Red rips and cuts like a chainsaw combined with an axe.

Comments please and keep the thread alive!!

Hw0ay3Rh.jpg

pD0Sfcwh.jpg

F6bFoXJh.jpg

b7L8Ovdh.jpg

I was under the impression that v.1 and v.2 are just different versions of software, rather than hardware. Maybe your Tri was just updated with the newer firmware. But it's also possible it had hardware upgrades as well. If it's got boards soldered in rather than plugs and sockets, it's had things done to it already. This might include the TX boards and other things that were missing off the first generation of the Triaxis.

The v1 is without the TX4 board, and loooks like picture below.
Anyhow, the v2 starts on 1630, and this is within the first of the v2 range.
But why the soldered cable?
Because of the caps I suspect this is a custom job, which clearly must be an upgrade, since Black Gate caps are well known in the world of hifi.
NOS 1000uf 50v Black Gate is hard to get and very expensive! Hopefully my triaxis sound better than everyone elses :twisted:

Anyone else seen this sort of thing, please tell me.

Guitar007_01.jpg

pal said:
The v1 is without the TX4 board, and loooks like picture below.
Anyhow, the v2 starts on 1630, and this is within the first of the v2 range.
But why the soldered cable?
Because of the caps I suspect this is a custom job, which clearly must be an upgrade, since Black Gate caps are well known in the world of hifi.
NOS 1000uf 50v Black Gate is hard to get and very expensive! Hopefully my triaxis sound better than everyone elses :twisted:

Anyone else seen this sort of thing, please tell me.

The original owner swap the Panasonic cap with Black Gate.
However, those caps are for control circuits, I suspect that it may have very limited effect on tone.

Back