WTF!!! No love for the Simul-395 amp?!?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRStrat

Reaction score
I went though every post in this section and I didn't see much about the 395.
I just pick-up this amp on Ebay and I LOVE it! I was using a 2:100, but the 395 ( to my ears) has better tone. I run the half drive for my dirty tones and This thing just sings!
I didn't care for the modern switch on the 2:100, It sounded like a distortion pedal was kicked in and added a LOT of noise.

Hey hello,

I have a 395!
And it's absolutely stunning.

No idea how many of them were made.
No info to be found except on the Maarten Van Helden website:
www.tubefreak.com

The manual is not very clear.
And I have no schematic...

;o)

Anyway,
Question for you:
Do you know if you can el34 tubes in the Class A sockets of the 395?
I know you can on the 295, Mark IV, Mark III, ...
But nothing is mentioned for the 395.

Any idea?
I'd like to try it out.
(have some el34's lying about...)

Cheers,
M.

Love it. Passed on a VHT 2/90/2 when I tried them both locally.

The 2/90/2 sounded like I was playing through a tube Hi-fi power amp. Ultra stiff and high fidelity, not guitar like. The 395 doesn't respond nearly as stiff. The only word that come to mind is pleasing to describe the feel and sound.

The compromise of rack is usually response and this power amp has no such problem.

This amp is the works!

I just changed 2 6l6's in the Class A sockets to el34's.
Works pretty good for overdiven sounds.
Not so for clean.
Especially in half drive mode, you get a bit more distortion with the el34's.
But I compensate with the full power / Simul class for cleans.

Greetz,
M.

Mantis said:
Anyway,
Question for you:
Do you know if you can el34 tubes in the Class A sockets of the 395?
I know you can on the 295, Mark IV, Mark III, ...
But nothing is mentioned for the 395.

Any idea?
I'd like to try it out.
(have some el34's lying about...)

Cheers,
M.
I have been wanting to try that myself, Which ones did you change, which socket?

I wish I could chime in here but finding one of these badboys is not easy. I never see them on ebay...

I have the Randall RT2/50 which also switches channels but I'm sure is not nearly as versatile or OPEN sounding...

Nowhere at the moment for me, but I like knowing it's there when I need it :)

hello all i have had many many different amps, definetly my favourite for tone, cleanliness and brut power is my mesa strategy 500 and triaxis, but i want to try a quad preamp, i been lookin 4 awhile, nothing has come up at the right price

cheers

I've got a Simul 395, too and the ability of the Switchtrack System makes this baby really cool and versatile!

<3 Simul 395 <3

I GOT ONE TOO...ITS THE BEST POWER AMP MADE....IT MAKE'S MY VHT PURPLE FACE 2150 SOUND LIKE A SOLID STATE AMP...

I heard someone say these are very similar to the power section of the mark III, anyone who owns this know if it's true?

I finally got me one of these beasts and love it! The sound is amazingly ALIVE!

LRStrat said:
I have been wanting to try that myself, Which ones did you change, which socket?
Ditto - which sockets are the Class A? I tried running it Class A to figure it out and the tubes all continued to glow the same so that was no help.

I've had this paired with a triaxis v1 since early 90's. have never heard anything since that even comes close to tone.
lot of power, rack space and weight...but worth it.
i used to run through a stereo wired mesa 4x12 - now only run one side through a load box into daw. the tonal impact is totally worth it even going direct with cab sims

Back