Triaxis Woes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantomlord2oo

Reaction score
i ordered a new triaxis about 6 months ago. since then i've been using a used triaxis that my local guitar center let me borrow until the new unit comes in.

the problem i'm having is that every mode distorts badly. even on the clean channels with gain at 3.5 and master at 5 it'll distort (output at 3).

i have it running into a mesa/boogie 2:90 power amp. i use a bunch of other things in my rig (tuner, eq in FX loop, noise reduction) so just to make sure its actually the preamp's problem all i connected was my guitar to the preamp to the poweramp to the cab and sure enough it still distorted on all channels. it's not my guitar cause this problem occured with all 15 of them. nor do i think its my cables, i use all monster cable.

the only thing i could think of is that it could be the tubes in the triaxis. the tubes in it are probably 10 years old. it's a version 1 unit and i don't believe it's ever been retubed. could old tubes cause all the channels to distort?

i bought the mesa 2:90 at the same time i ordered the triaxis to it's about 6 months old as well. could the tubes in it be the ones that need replacing? there's no loss in volume or anything like that.

on a second note:
i did order my triaxis 6 months ago and there's been no news on when it'll be coming. 1 guy at GC told me that they were waiting for a part to come in or something. should it really be taking this long for it to come in?

i also heard they're moving on from version 2 to version 3, thus removing the crappy rectifier mode and changing it with a lonestar mode. is this true and would i be getting version 3?

thanks for all your help and sorry for the long post.

+Mike+

Id say its probably the tubes.
If its GC's, take it to them and get them to retube it.

You would probably not get a ver3 if it was ordered 6months ago.
It will probably be a version2.
However, If I were you I would spit the dummy walk in there and try and get a ver3 and get it **** soon.
However, I dont know if the ver3 is finished yet

Grandor said:
However, I dont know if the ver3 is finished yet

I haven't heard anything about version 3. Do we know what it is?
I would love the Lonestar Circuit, as I have never used the Rectifier
Circuit. Maybe that's a sign of my age... :?

I'm going to have to send Tim M. an email.

chedgeco... 8)

Apparently they cant make a Dual Recto circuit in their anymore because some of the parts are now unavaliable to mesa that the Dual recto board required.

So now their replacing it with a lonestar board.
This is why GC was blowing out triaxis' at 1000.

thanks for all the help so far!

i've determined that the distortion is from old tubes, so i'll get those changed out eventually.

to Grandor:

i heard something about that some triaxis parts were unavailable for the one i ordered and that's why it's taking a long time. i did spend whatever the retail price for the triaxis was ($1500 maybe) so i didn't get it on sale or anything. so it looks like i may be receiving the new version 3 with the lonestar board... whenever i get it lol.

to chedgeco:

if you could get a hold of Tim M. and ask him about the new triaxis version 3 and that'd be awsome.

Yup, since this past NAMM, all orders for a new TriAxis will be for the new version. No more (IMO, crappy) Lead 1 Red. Will be replaced with a module that, contrary to belief, will sound more like a Mark I. This info is straight from Boogie, so if I'm wrong, then so was their support guy.

Just ordered me a new TriAxis (crappy GC clearance one had problems), but it won't get here for another 8-10 weeks. :(

thanks for all the help guys! i'm glad that the ld1 red is getting replaced cause it sounds NOTHING like a rectifier. i own one so i know. i'm looking forward to fooling around with the lonestar mode.

to mcmanus:
well at least you know that the triaxis is DEFINATELY worth the wait.

+Mike+

did you have any luck with your problem mine does the same i have re tubed it and it still does it the store i got it from cantseem to help me ?

This also applies to the Rectifier Recording Preamp and Recto Heads?
Are they discontinued?

Grandor said:
Apparently they cant make a Dual Recto circuit in their anymore because some of the parts are now unavaliable to mesa that the Dual recto board required.

So now their replacing it with a lonestar board.
This is why GC was blowing out triaxis' at 1000.

sherpa_man said:
did you have any luck with your problem mine does the same i have re tubed it and it still does it the store i got it from cantseem to help me ?

Hmm... first of all, punctuation is very underrated. :)

I had a feeling that tubes were causing my problems, but Mesa told me it might actually not be, since it was a problem that normally applies to power amps, not preamps. I suggest you call Mesa/Boogie yourself, and possibly send it in for repair.

i got my triaxis finally. it's a version2 but that didn't matter to me. and the cleans still distort. i probably have to set my clean setting lower so they won't distort. would the power amp cause the cleans to distort??

+Mike+

phantomlord2oo said:
i got my triaxis finally. it's a version2 but that didn't matter to me. and the cleans still distort. i probably have to set my clean setting lower so they won't distort. would the power amp cause the cleans to distort??

+Mike+

Most likely not. You need to set GAIN pretty low in clean channels. You _really_ should read the manual for the TriAxis... it describes everything in lots of detail including what they designed each channel for, how you should/can use it, what different combinations of parameters do, etc. It's GREAT. Go. Read. Now.

Back