2:90 Died on the gig Tonight!!! HELP!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrlayn2it

Reaction score
Ok, here goes. The front pilot light on the amp comes on .. but the power tubes stay cold. No, power tube anything. Replaced the three 12AX7s and bumped around inside the amp and finally got the Power tubes to light and I had sound for almost all night.. Next to last song sound started going and coming in strong.. and then every power tube went dark and no sound.. but pilot light stayed on.. ALL EIGHT POWER TUBES DARK>.. These tubes are relatively new and the fact that it worked almost all nite after if acted up at soundcheck has me puzzled. ANYBODY HAD THIS HAPPEN? Please give a shout if you have. I have to have this working by next Saturday nite.. What could cause both sides of the power amp to go dark right after I replaced the 3 12ax7s.. ? J.

The same thing happened to mine. I sent the OP a pm explaining what the problem was with mine and how it was fixed. I don't know if he has read the pm yet though. Here is the link to the thread I started when mine burned out

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=22434

bibal

You guys are great!! Saw the pics on the other thread of the plug strip with the same problem. I was able to cut the melted section out of mine, and make a pin plug out of a small coupler. I fitted it to the pin, made sure there was enough clearance and fipped the switch.. IT WORKS!!!!
Do you guys think there is anything else that could have caused this that I need to have checked out? Looks like the plastic just broke down and burned due to excessive heat.. Thanks again.. You all ROCK!!!!!!! J.

I asked the question if there is anything that I did that could have caused the problem or if there is anything I could do to prevent it in the future and the answer to both was no. I believe the tech completely took the harness right off and soldered directly to the board.

I'm glad yours is fixed. I know I was beside myself when it happened and I thought it was ruined and would have to be replaced. Luckily it was fixed in a couple of days and didn't cost all that much!!!

Bill

the mesa tech near me told me to solder the wires directly to the pins because there's a lot of current flowing there. He told me it was a flaw, the connector just couldn't handle the current. i think he said 2 amps/tube, which is 10 amps!

Back