2:90 help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick1

Reaction score
Hey,

I got a 2:90 off ebay back in October and its about 5 years old and the tubes were changed once about 2 years ago. other than that the unit was fine.

I got the unit and I noticed that its sound was muddy and had an AM radio like tone to it no matter what settings I used on my preamp which is a Digitech 2101 artist series 3.0.

So I had it fully retubed with Sovtec(? mispelled) and it still has that same tone quality to it?
I have my preamp running into my crate glx 120 watt solid state head and the tone is alot better than the 2:90 so I know theres somthing wrong with the 2:90!
Any ideas on what I should do?

nick1 said:
Hey,

I got a 2:90 off ebay back in October and its about 5 years old and the tubes were changed once about 2 years ago. other than that the unit was fine.

I got the unit and I noticed that its sound was muddy and had an AM radio like tone to it no matter what settings I used on my preamp which is a Digitech 2101 artist series 3.0.

So I had it fully retubed with Sovtec(? mispelled) and it still has that same tone quality to it?
I have my preamp running into my crate glx 120 watt solid state head and the tone is alot better than the 2:90 so I know theres somthing wrong with the 2:90!
Any ideas on what I should do?

What outputs are you using on the 2101? If you use the xlr's with the spkr sim on, it will sound like a pile of crap.
Are you using the "half" power on the 2:90? Did you replace the 12ax7's or just the power tubes?
Did you adjust the eq on the 2101?, going from a transistor head with tone controls to a tube power amp is a big change and you will definitely have to tweak the EQ on the 2101.

Mark
http://www.thesamhillband.com

I adjusted the eq and the speaker sim is not on. I am using the left (mono) output to go into the 2:90

Out of curiousity, how do you know when the tubes need to be replaced?
does it just stop working? Or is there something else to look/listen for?

there are three 12AX7's in the 2:90, did you replace them ?
Also, check the line input switch in the back..

The tubes need replacing when they start making noise or you blow a fuse.

Back