2:100 Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unconventional

Reaction score
Don't know if this is a problem or not. I bought a recto studio preamp and a 2:100 Recto Power amp. I have it all hooked up properly. I'm running it in stereo to a 2x12 cab. The speakers are Celestion 12-100's 8ohm and I'm using the 8ohm outputs on the power amp.

I'm getting a speaker crackle on the left channel intermittently. Do you suspect I need new tubes? What's in there are Mesa 6L6's and for all I know they are as old as the amp.

Being I know little about tube amps, I thought I'd ask the experts.

Thanks, Kevin

Disconnect the preamp and turn the volume all the way down. If you still hear the crackle then the problem would appear to be the power tubes or possibly the preamp tubes inside the 2:100.

FYI retubes do not hurt and may prevent failure in the future but at around $180 for some new tubes that's some serious change.

Greg

It's weird, seems like the first 5 minutes or so then it goes away. It's like someone disconnecting the speaker cable and wiggling it and putting it back in. I'll have to check out your method tomorrow.

Anybody else have some insight on this?

I shut the preamp off and it's still crackling. Bought this thing off of music go round. Mr. Burnsville. Tubes were said to be in good order.

Kevin

I noticed with the lights off that 7 of the 8 6L6 tubes are glowing blue and amber and one of the tubes is glowing only amber. I don't know which channel is which with the tubes, it doesn't say on the box.

Reviving an old topic...

After retubing and still having this sound problem (though on a 2:90), I came upon the following youtube post (it's in German).

The description by the poster nicely puts the problem :
This heavy but normally good sounding beast started crackling, popping and making all kind of "thunder" sounds along with blue flashing output tubes.........unfortunately it was not one of the easy causes people allways come up with (bad sockets, bad tubes, bad biasing).

The culprit seems to be the LDR's, which apparently are not an easy job to replace because of the entire printboard which has to be taken out :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeqKzyhkhn4

Latest posts

Back