Studio Preamp C+ MOD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golden1984

Reaction score
Hello.

I found big avocation in case of schematics of modification of Studio preamp I discussed under other topic.
So I`m puting those schems into my www, inviting all of you to discuss or correct them if you find it to be needed.

http://www.watergate.republika.pl/schems/bass_shift_&_deep_MOD.jpg
www.watergate.republika.pl/schems/lead_C+mod.jpg

Greetings, Peter

If I purchase a studio preamp (off ebay) and wanted a mod like this done, where would I bring it? Also I'm guessing that's where it should be brought if there are any issues, or something needs to be fixed?

thanks

dmcguitar, Jerry over at fjamods.com is very capable of doing any modification work that you don't feel comfortable with. He's mostly known for his work on the Peavey 5150's, but he's done work on Dual and Triple Rectifiers, and can do any custom work if you provide a schematic.

i have also a studio pre and i`m thinking about to tune it up with these mods. can anyone tell me, how the sound changes in contrast to the stock preamp? because my pre sounds fine but i always have less punch than the engl savage or the hughes & kettner triamp (the amps of the guitarists i´m playing with). will my pre have more punch in the lower frequencies and have more gain, so that i don`t have to pull the gain knob up (it gets noisy very quickly). please try to help me

Does anybody still have these schematics?? I'm getting ready to buy a Studio Pre and would love to try these mods out.

Thanks in advance

I see that this thread is a bit old, but what the hay I just might go ahead and ask.
Is this mod available to the Quad. I read different things about the Quad's channel 1. The manual says it's based on the mark 2C, then on wikipedia, there's an article that quotes:

" Some sources state that Channel 1 is based upon the IIC, however, according to Mike B. at Mesa Boogie, the IIC and IIC+ circuits are quite different, and the Quad is in fact closest to the IIC+ circuit.

So which one is right? Can this mod be performed on the quad?

psycle_1 said:
Does anybody still have these schematics?? I'm getting ready to buy a Studio Pre and would love to try these mods out.

Thanks in advance

The schematics are back online! (The links are in the first post in this thread.)

Download them to your hard drive in case they are removed again.

Razor said:
I see that this thread is a bit old, but what the hay I just might go ahead and ask.
Is this mod available to the Quad. I read different things about the Quad's channel 1. The manual says it's based on the mark 2C, then on wikipedia, there's an article that quotes:

" Some sources state that Channel 1 is based upon the IIC, however, according to Mike B. at Mesa Boogie, the IIC and IIC+ circuits are quite different, and the Quad is in fact closest to the IIC+ circuit.

So which one is right? Can this mod be performed on the quad?

Yes, the mod can be performed on the Quad. As to how it will sound, I couldn't tell you.. Given the relative simplicity of the mod (adding a few capacitors, changing out some resistors), it shouldn't cost too much to do the mod or have a tech do it for you. The Quad is pretty much two Studio Pre's in one chassis/circuit board with a switcher between the two and subtle tonal differences between the two.

kleinpavel said:
... i`m thinking about to tune it up with these mods. can anyone tell me, how the sound changes in contrast to the stock preamp? because my pre sounds fine....

could anyone answere this question please.
i´m awaiting my studio pre the next days and i´m also thinking about this mod, but without any feedback, how the will sound after the mod it´s hard to decide to do it.

I'm not sure how close the schematics are to the C+, but I finally got around to doing this mod. I've had the bass shift and deep mods in for a couple of months. The C+ mod definitely smoothed things out. I hear of some people using the recording outs because the preamp is a bit bright. This should take care of this issue for you. It is possible to do this yourself without taking the circuit board. It just takes a lot of time and patience since some of the components are a bit cramped in there.

Before anybody asks, unfortunately I do not have before and after soundclips.

anyone done this mod? I'm considering it for my Studio Pre but i need more input from users

Back