Triaxis mod... C+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman3000

Reaction score
Hey!
I own a triaxis, version 2.0 and i know that Mark Snyder modded Petrucci's Triaxis on the LD2 YELLOW mode. A friend of mine who owns that Triaxis (lucky uh?) said that Snyder told him that he changed some componets to make it sound more like a real C+...
Any ideas or suggestions?

Hmm, that's interesting. I haven't heard that before :)

Any chance your friend could take some nice hires pix of the guts to see what was changed?

MJ

The Sleeper said:
Hey snowman,
You still have those hi res pics I sent you ages ago? Maybe you could send them to 4nkam.

Catch ya's later.........Joe :)

Great to hear you back...... =).....No ****...I have those 'kin' pictures in Italy!! ****!.....Are there any possibilities to get some new ones?!........ :wink:

Ok, I'll try to get some pics soon. I'm quite busy with work, so give me a week or so. Nicko, just let me know via PM or email me which areas you want me to photograph, I'll need you to also PM me your personal email so I can send these pics because they're going to be way too big to upload here. Preferably not a yahoo or hotmail addy either, or if you give me one of those emails make sure you clear out your inbox because I'm not going to compress the files.

MJ, the only info I can give you about my Triaxis is what Mark told me just before I bought it from him. That he replaced some of the new components from the lead 2 board with older & better sounding components from a 2C+. From what snowman tells me he's also tweaked quite a few of the trimpots inside the triaxis as well. In all honesty that's all I know. Untill I got this unit home along with the 2:90 I bought from him as well, I'd never even had the opportunity to try a Triaxis out, let alone see one in the flesh. I have no idea what a stock one is like to quantify & describe to you how different they sound, respond & feel. I do know that it is extremely tight, very clean, responsive & articulate and from my first open E5 power chord 3 yrs ago the smile is still on my face :mrgreen: 8)

It's paired up in my rig with a Mesa V-Twin rackmount. Nice combo recommended to me by Mesa, they compliment each other quite well.

Catch ya's later.........Joe :)

That's cool, it will be interesting to see what was changed. I've spoken with various techs over the years but none of them have ever said they would work on a Triaxis.

Did mesa ever mention anything to you regarding this or other mods?

MJ

Here you are Joe...as always you're such a great friend and human being! I'll e-mail you tomorrow about the areas i'd like you to photograph, just remember to set the camera properly to get some really focused picture. I have almost 1GB free on my yahoo mail box so don't worry about that.

I know, Triaxis is very complicated just to tweak! If you looked at the PCBs then you have an idea of what a pain in the *** would be to fix something in it...BTW the other mods i know available for Triaxis are here: http://www.tubefreak.com/mesa.htm#triaxis

later brothers! :wink:

P.S. Hey Joe! One of my first setup was: Boss Noise Suppressor (NS-2) > Boss Compressor-Sustainer (CS-3) > V-Twin rack with the Digitech Studio400 in the loop. Then from the output of the twin to the return of a JCM900... Too bad that i sold the JCM900 and the Twin...with the NS-2 and the CS-3 i had some GREAT tones... Give those Boss pedals a serious try.. Believe me...! The CS-3 would help you to get some really high-gain tones out the Twin unaltering the magic flavour of the preamp.. 8)

4nkam said:
That's cool, it will be interesting to see what was changed. I've spoken with various techs over the years but none of them have ever said they would work on a Triaxis.

Did mesa ever mention anything to you regarding this or other mods?

MJ

No MJ, I never told Mesa that the Triaxis had been modded, nor did I ask them about how mine could have been done. What I was asking them about was a preamp that retained the Mesa character, but was more open & spongy in feel compared to the Triaxis which is real tight & focused. They recommended the V-Twin rackmount. They also suggested I try the Recto pre because the V-Twin was out of production, but I ended up scoring the V-Twin rack on eBay.

Catch ya later...........Joe :)

snowman3000 said:
P.S. Hey Joe! One of my first setup was: Boss Noise Suppressor (NS-2) > Boss Compressor-Sustainer (CS-3) > V-Twin rack with the Digitech Studio400 in the loop. Then from the output of the twin to the return of a JCM900... Too bad that i sold the JCM900 and the Twin...with the NS-2 and the CS-3 i had some GREAT tones... Give those Boss pedals a serious try.. Believe me...! The CS-3 would help you to get some really high-gain tones out the Twin unaltering the magic flavour of the preamp.. 8)

Nicko my rig runs 3 GRX4's.

The 1st GRX4 is setup for pre preamp loops so I have my DTR1 & DCR rack wah running before the preamps.

In the 2nd GRX4, I run it as 4 loops in series, so I can have either the Triaxis or V-Twin in any combo or combined if I so desire in loops 1 & 2. In loops 3 & 4 I have a DBX 166a two channel comp/lim/gate. Each channel has its own loop. One channel is setup exclusively as a gate for high gain stuff, the other for compression. I can therefore have any combination of comp & gating I wish.

The 3rd GRX4 has my 2 Intellifexes in a loop each. I'm planning on getting an Eventide Eclipse, so it will also be in a loop. There is also a loop for a dry mute function as well. These FX units are run in parallel into a DMC System Mix + mixer, then into my 2:90 & then into 2 Marshall 4 x 12s.

The whole purpose of my rig was to avoid using pedals, and have absolutely no audio cable going to my pedal board.

Catch ya later...........Joe :)

Latest posts

Back