Got my Quad in today !!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdgeOfDarkness

Reaction score
I just hooked it up to my Ultra Plus ( power section) sounds pretty good, I guess i need to work on getting a tube power amp now.I did not realize that at start up the Quad is not in a mode...I grabbed a old foot switch and used it to change between the channels, is a pain because i had to unplug and plug it into the correct jack on the back every time i wanted to change between channels, luckily my Fu-2 Pedal will be here tomorrow.(thanks rod ).

Any advise on getting a good old school metal tone ?

I use channel 1 for clean and a super smooth and dynamic lead where channel 2 is for crunch and super saturation. I also have the GEQ for channel 2 setup a bit like Metallica used to do for their C+ heads.

Now you can get rid of that Ultra Plus. You should probably look for a 50/50 or a 290 power amp to get the most out of a 2 space rack amp. I use my quad with a 290 but I also have a 20/20 to use if needed and I feel I can have the right power section for any group or gig i might play.

Greg

ToneAddictJon said:
Congrats, if you decide to sell the Ultra Plus let me know, it's the only amp I've ever missed.

I have owned/own many amps, The Ultra Plus is one amp I never even thought of getting rid of.

disassembled said:
I use channel 1 for clean and a super smooth and dynamic lead where channel 2 is for crunch and super saturation. I also have the GEQ for channel 2 setup a bit like Metallica used to do for their C+ heads.

Greg

Right now I have mine in a "V" shape...
You set your EQ's up like this ?
james1993rackleft.jpg

disassembled said:
Now you can get rid of that Ultra Plus. You should probably look for a 50/50 or a 290 power amp to get the most out of a 2 space rack amp.
Greg

+1
I finally cranked my Quad and 50/50 to 5. The outputs on the Quad were only at 3, and I could feel the concrete floor vibrating. Oh, and the tubes are over 7 years old!

This is what mine is set at, but I'm still tinkering:

Channel 1 (lead mode)

Volume 7.5 (pulled)
Treble 7 (pulled)
Bass 2.5 (pulled)
Middle 4
Master 5
Lead drive 4.5
Lead Master 5 (pulled)

80hz centered at top line
240hz bottom of slider at top of middle line
750hz between middle and bottom line
2200hz bottom of slider at top of middle line
6600hz top of slider at bottom of top line

My settings changed quite a bit when I got the 50/50. It sounds much fuller than when I was using the power section of the el84 50 caliber.
Oh, and the halfback cab plays a big part.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back