Mesa Power amps: 6L6 and EL34?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regret

Reaction score
Can all of Mesa's Power amps(except the EL84 one) switch between 6L6s and EL34s or just the 2:100?

It would be easier to use a power amp for EL34 tone, to combine with my DC-5s 6l6s, than my Marshall. (Slaving it)

Regret said:
Can all of Mesa's Power amps(except the EL84 one) switch between 6L6s and EL34s or just the 2:100?
No, some can and some can't.

As far as I know, only the 2:50 and the 2:100 can be used with either 6l6 or el34s. I have heard that the 50/50 and 2:90 can be modded for use with el34s.

pjdude said:
As far as I know, only the 2:50 and the 2:100 can be used with either 6l6 or el34s. I have heard that the 50/50 and 2:90 can be modded for use with el34s.

I thought the 2:90 was Simul-Class.... so you can use both 34's and 6L6's at the same time. :?:

I don't really know how they can call it Sumul-Class, but here's what they say:

"Simul-Class magic comes from the pairing of two separate and different power amps working together simultaneously to produce one gorgeous tone. For each channel, one pair of 6L6s operates in Class AB delivering punch and headroom. Meanwhile, the other two impart the sweetness and warmth of mystical Class A circuitry. "

The 2:90 comes loaded with 8 6L6's, so I don't really know how they manage it.

i remember reading somewhere that you can pop in 'hotter' grade EL34's in the 2:ninety.. or should that be 'colder' ??
It would be cool to know cos I have some Groove Tube EL34's that are rated 9.

Latest posts

Back