Recommend me a Tubes......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LUCRETIA said:
For my TriAxis.I want more amp feel type on the TA..Any particular brand?

I'm interpreting this question as a request for a more dynamically responsive feel, kind of like a combo amp, rather than a typical rackmount system. Without more specific goals stated, I hope I'm on the right track here.

One tube I can recommend to instantly increase the dynamic feel of a Triaxis is the 12BZ7. :shock: Yes, 12BZ7!! I prefer the older black-plate versions (any manufacturer). Put this in V5 (furthest from the guitar input) of the Triaxis. And if you're using a Boogie power amp, put one in V1 (input position) of the power amp. You'll get more clean gain (that is, not more distortion, but about 2dB more volume) with this substitution for a 12AX7. It is a taller tube (almost 1/2"), and it draws more current (but has the same mu rating of 100 as the 12AX7). Neither of these differences prohibits it from working splendidly in the Triaxis. Only precaution is that if you're using the direct out, you may drive that circuit to unmusical clip if you're not careful with the volume setting.

Oh, and if you're talking tonal changes within the Triaxis, check out this thread:
http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=749

A good thread indeed... ;)

I'm actually back to using my stock Mesa tubes for now. The 2:90 was in the shop for a long time (2 months of using a Peavey 5150!); the input select switch was bad and was going back-and-forth from instrument level to line level and back, etc.), so I'm now getting re-acquainted with my rig. Factory preset 9 never sounded so sweet!

When I'm done getting re-acquainted I'm actually going to try to tweak the 2:90 first, probably with the Winged SED's. Once that gets settled I'm going to play with some of the tubes for the TriAxis mentioned in that thread.

It's a good thread, I recommend reading it all (or at least, most of it, heh).

Hey guys, 1st post here so I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I've had my Triaxis for a while now. The tubes I use in it are Mesa SPAX7's in V1 & 2 and regular Mesa 12ax7's in V3, 4 & 5.

V1 & 2 are the most susceptible to tube microphonics, so using a low microphonic tube such as the SPAX7 will ultimately make the Triaxis sound alot better. These tubes are about twice the price of a regular Mesa 12AX7.

Catch ya's later.........Joe :)

Back