MESA/Boogie Preamps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regret

Reaction score
Can somebody or everybody tell me about the Studio, Quad, Formula, Triaxis, V-Twin, and Rec Pre preamps? Any more I'm forgetting?

What tones do they offer? How do they compare to Marks, Rectos, etc.?

Also can somebody post the different descriptions of the modes in the Triaxis versions 1 and 2, and the rumors of version 3?

Thanks this will be a big help,
Robert

Regret said:
Can somebody or everybody tell me about the Studio, Quad, Formula, Triaxis, V-Twin, and Rec Pre preamps? Any more I'm forgetting?

What tones do they offer? How do they compare to Marks, Rectos, etc.?

Also can somebody post the different descriptions of the modes in the Triaxis versions 1 and 2, and the rumors of version 3?

Thanks this will be a big help,
Robert

You should really check their website, it has a wealth of information for each product on each product's description page. Not to mention their manuals (all downloadable) have WAY too much info, heh.

As far as the TriAxis is concerned, here's an excerpt from its page:
Eight Preamp Modes

Rhythm
Green

Vintage Fat Rhythm (Mark I, Black-face)

Rhythm Yellow

Modern hyper-clean Rhythm (Mark IV)

Lead 1 Green

Vintage Mark I Lead

Lead 1 Yellow

Mark 1 Gain Boost

Lead 1
Red

Classic Boogie Lead

Lead 2 Green

Medium Gain Boogie Lead

Lead 2 Yellow

Classic Boogie Lead (Mark IIC+/Mark IV)

Lead 2
Red

Searing Boogie Lead

I had the version 2 of the TriAxis for a short while, and its Lead2 Yellow (Mark IIc+ sound) was by far the best, and in my opinion, really darn close to sounding like an actual Mark IIc+ (though Petrucci swears the opposite, I hear).

As far the version 3 is concerned, they announced it at this past NAMM, and if you order any TriAxis now it will be a version 3. It will also take 8-10 weeks to get it. :( But in my opinion it *should* be worth the wait. I didn't like the Lead 1 Red all that much (it was supposed to sound like a Rectifier but it didn't really), and they are replacing it with a channel that will sound more like their original Boogie lead sound (think Mark I). The only way to get a version 2 now is find one used. Guitar Center has some on clearance for $999.99, but I wouldn't recommend it. Customers use and abuse the in-store gear, and you don't know what you're getting (I gave up and returned mine when it started dying and ordered a new version 3).

I have A Quad Pre-amp, with no cable for the foot switch. How can I get one? Can anyone help??

screamingdaisy said:
Regret said:
What was wrong with the Recto mode? Did it have its application even if it didn't sound like a real Recto?

They now sell a Recto Preamp.....I sense a connection. :wink:

For sure, but I asked because a lot of people say bad things about it. Such as, "it doesn't sound like a Recto, it's too...," etc.

I'm sure it doesn't sound like one but is it really that bad as a unique tone?

Honestly I just couldn't get Lead 1 Red to sound good. That's completely subjective, though, but hey, Mesa/Boogie seems to agree with me :wink:

Back