TriAxis Breaking Up the Signal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cayce

Reaction score
Glad to find this forum.

I've had my TriAxis & 2:50 fo 7 or 8 years and have loved them both. I had to rebuild my rack recently and whether by coincidence or because of jostling the TriAxis around, the sound went into the toilet. Could be that it was already doing this & I just haven't noticed, that it just now decided to get worse or... who knows, but what it's doing to my signal sounds almost like string buzz on a bad fret. Almost seems to split the signal then shred it (but not in a good way). I installed a fresh set of Mesa tubes but that didn't help. All that smooth richness is gone.

I've noticed for a long time that on startup there's a good amount of crackling... not real loud but definitely as if something's trying to settle in. Maybe that helps in whatever diagnosis might come back from this.

I've done everything to isolate the problem – ran different guitars trhrough it; went direct to the 2:50 by-passing it... all indicators point to the TriAxis.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Thanks!

Cayce

G'day there Cayce
I've got a triaxis that is about the same age as yours. Mine has got all sorts of problems. Not the same problems as you mention though. The best advice I could give is to find the best tech you can or send it back to Boogie.

something that often goes on the triaxis is the optical copuplers or light dependent resistors.. Mesa call them LDR's

Apparently mine had that problem before I bought it, and the service sheet indicates thats what caused the popping. Call mesa up and ask them about it?

Cayce -

See if this problem occurs in all modes, or if it is just in one mode. That will help you pare down the possibilities.

[hope it isn't "the optical copuplers" Zoiks!] :wink:

Ok now MY TA is popping, only when switching from Rhythm1 to Lead1 Red.

From what I can gather after some googling this is caused by a Vactrol LDR going bad.

How can I identify WHICH Vactrol it is?

http://www.tubefreak.com/triaxis5.jpg

Would I need to replace more than one?

WHere can I buy a Vactrol from online? Getting from mesa might be a problem cos Im not in the USA.

Sounds like you're digging in more deeply than I've ever been. I suppose you've tried swapping out and/or cleaning the pins of the 12AX7 in V1?

If you feel confident in your diagnosis, I'd recommend contacting Mesa/Boogie for the final details. Those parts are not large, so shipping doesn't seem like it'd be a problem, if you can them to sell to you. Really, I'm out of my experience here, but I do know one thing: the M/B reps are very helpful, once you've made contact with them.

doing some googling.. froma triaxis review:
" If you are in the middle of a chord or a line, and you switch to a patch that turns on one of the Modes on the 2:90, or one that changes pre-amp circuits, then it will pop. You still have to be tasteful with your transitions, just like always."

Im not changing modes on the 2:90...

Could you tell me if you hear a pop changing between Rhythm 1 and Lead1 Red on YOUR Triaxis..
set your bass on the Lead1Red at 9 or 10.

Just to be sure I understand - you're not talking about simply changing modes within a preset, then? It sounds as if you've got two presets: one Rhythm Green, the other Lead 1 Red with the bass set very high, and you experience a pop when changing presets? I can try this and get back to you on what I find.

- T

I have 2 presets each on their own midi program.
I get the slight 'pop' when changing from the Rhythm preset to the LD1 Red preset/program.

xcpointx said:
I have 2 presets each on their own midi program.
I get the slight 'pop' when changing from the Rhythm preset to the LD1 Red preset/program.

Well, I tried this several times, and no popping. Lead 1 Red bass was on 9. Tried while playing continuously, then while letting a chord ring, then tried going back from L1-Red to R-Green, etc. Sorry to say, sounds like yours may have a glitch.

Lots of luck!

- T

i tried reseating the tubes...
and voila!!! no more popping.

thanks so much for your time and effort. much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back