Recto Pre Volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUBH

Reaction score
I basically have my Recto Pre hooked directly into my computer for recording. But I've continuously been running into a bit of problem.

Basically, I have to have my master volume and recording-output volume turned very low (like 10:00 for master, 9:00 for recording-output) just to record something in without horrendous clipping. Due to the lower volume settings (as I get from the manual), the left and right channels do not have equal volumes (one is DBs louder than the other), and it just seems it would probably sound a little better with a bit higher volume.

So my question really is... how exactly do I deal with this? How can I get something recorded without all the clipping problems with a higher volume setting on the amp? Seeing as this thing was made with the explicit intent of direct recording as well as live applications, I'm sure there's a way.

Thanks

you could try going into a pair of direct boxes and then go in mic level.
that should take care of the problem. basic DI's cost about 40 a peice
and a really good stereo one made by radial will run you about 180..

I'm very new to recording. What exactly is a direct box, what does it do?

Are there any specific brands or models you would recommend looking into? I'm looking around and there seems to be a vast difference among all of them.

Preferably, I'd like to go the route of a rackmount version that can handle more than one input. But I also don't want to break my wallet to badly either. But I can't seem to find any rackmount versions.

Thanks

There's a flaw with some of the volume pots they used early on, which is why the two channels are unbalanced. You should contact Mesa and see about getting a replacement pot.

PUBH said:
I basically have my Recto Pre hooked directly into my computer for recording. But I've continuously been running into a bit of problem.

Basically, I have to have my master volume and recording-output volume turned very low (like 10:00 for master, 9:00 for recording-output) just to record something in without horrendous clipping. Due to the lower volume settings (as I get from the manual), the left and right channels do not have equal volumes (one is DBs louder than the other), and it just seems it would probably sound a little better with a bit higher volume.

So my question really is... how exactly do I deal with this? How can I get something recorded without all the clipping problems with a higher volume setting on the amp? Seeing as this thing was made with the explicit intent of direct recording as well as live applications, I'm sure there's a way.

Thanks
You are probably running it into your computer's Mic In! Check this out.The recto pre puts out line level signal (1-2 volts), so you must connect it to the Line In of your computer sound card.

I've read through the manual for the recto pre. It states that if the 'recording output volume' is at a low setting, you will encounter unbalanced channels. It states that to correct this, you just have to have the recording output volume at a higher setting. But if I go to a higher setting, the levels are too high to record with. All my master volumes (clean/dirty) are all around 10:00, and my recording output is only at 9:00. I would say these are very low settings.

I have it hooked into my line in, not the mic port.

The following is an example of a recording in modern mode, volume at 10:00, recording-out volume at 9:00. As you can see, there is quite a lot of clipping. And the left channel is slightly greater than the right channel. The volume on my guitar is also only about half way in this example.
ex01.jpg

If I record it in Sonar or Cubase, it is the exact same thing.

Nope, my pickups are low output (DiMarzio PAF-7).

I read through the manual again, and it states that if the recording-out volume is at/below 9:00, you may encounter unbalanced channels. It states that to clear this problem, you simply should keep the recording output between 9:00 and 2:00.

OK, well, if I put the recording out volume just a slight notch or two higher (I have mine right about 9:00), the unbalanced channels seems to be fixed. But the level is too high to record with. The manual states that this unit is very capable of outputting beyond what consoles can take.

So... someone suggested a direct box. Would that solve it? Particularly, I was looking at the below one. Does anyone know if that would necessarily solve my problems (IE, I can get my volumes higher but record at the appropriate level)?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/182486/

It states it has attenuation, which should suck down the level considerably. But I've tried looking around, and I can't find much more info or reviews on this unit.

What sound card you have? If your sound card is of lower, customer audio quality it won't accept professional (of +4dBu and more) line level signals that Recto pre puts out so yes that behringer will do the job but it will also suck out your tone a bit. So best thing would be to buy a good quality pro audio sound card.

Yeah, I'm not sure what sound card I have, but I'm sure it is likely of lower quality.

A better sound card should resolve the matter? I don't want to spend like $200 on a sound card and still have this problem.

What card would you recommend looking into?

I would like one than can obviously handle my amp problem and do good recordings. But it would also be nice to have surround sound, since I have a surround sound system.

Thanks

I suggest you keep the existing card for the surround and buy a separate pro audio/MIDI interface for recording purposes, assuming you do have a firewire port. Look for the Tascam FW-1804 rackmount unit. It can handle up to +27dBu on Line ins. If on budget, look at the EMU but be sure to check out the maximum input level for Line ins! +20dBu and up is the number you are looking for.

the tascam us122 is 199, comes with cubasic i believe. anyways, its usb 2.0 and has two mics, two lines, inserts on mics and midi.

Preferably I'd like one that I can just put in the computer. For some reason I really don't care for devices that just kinda sit outside; tends to clutter things when you have several type devices.

But I've been looking around, and I can't seem to find any sort of reference for the line ins at any place (max level; not even at the manufactorers site). How do I know which cards are good if I can't find the info?

For reference, I don't have firewire either.

Then go with the EMU. You can find the line in levels at the specification pages. 1212M is a perfect value.

Wow, that's exactly what I was kinda looking for. Only thing it's missing is the surround sound, lol... but I can live without that I suppose. To fit the two cards in I'll have to remove my surround sound card.

Everything I found that offered what I was looking for had like 20 inputs/outputs, etc, and like $600, lol... Thanks for the help! It's really appreciated!

Back