Walk me through the Studio Preamp "C+" mod...

Triaxis, Quad Preamp, Stereo Power series, Recto Preamp

Moderators: Grandor, ned, Guitarzan

erickompositör72
Mark I

Walk me through the Studio Preamp "C+" mod...

Post by erickompositör72 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:10 pm

...in layman's terms ;-) ...or, it guitar-player-ism's

Being honest, the Studio Preamp through the power section of my Mark IIb S (60W) is the most incredible lead tone I've ever experience in-person in my life. I'm thrilled.

However, recordings I've heard of the IIC+ have always been my benchmark for the perfect lead tone, richest harmonic content, most liquid sound, etc. Does the "C+" mod to the Studio Preamp actually enhance these things in its lead tone? Or does it just change the voicing/frequency emphasis? I honestly can't imagine it getting better than it is now, but I've never played a C+. I also know that if I prefer the un-mod'd sound, it wouldn't be to difficult to pick up another one.

On a side note, I may have a chance soon to A/B my Studio Preamp and a 60W C+, using the C+'s power section to run the StudPre through. So curious to compare the two and hear for myself.

Tangentially: does anyone know the differences between a 60W Mark IIb's power section and a 60W Mark IIC+'s power section? Wondering how close this will be to "apples to apples".

Markedman
Donating Member

Re: Walk me through the Studio Preamp "C+" mod...

Post by Markedman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:18 pm

You'll have to wait for a diffinitive answer but I am fairly sure the power section is the same, or as close as anything there is.

I had a Studio Pre amp and I ran it using the effects send into the front input on my Mark IIB. Stand back!!!! Holy sweetness. I found that much much better than using an out to the return.
JP2C, Mark llC++ DG, Mark IV-A/B.

erickompositör72
Mark I

Re: Walk me through the Studio Preamp "C+" mod...

Post by erickompositör72 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:58 pm

That's interesting- I actually used to do the same with a Marshall 30th anniversary into a silver jubilee (before I converted to Boogie, of course...)

But you're adding another tone stack to the sound, right? My purist sensibilities are pushing back against this application... but of course I'm going to try it now!