New Quad Owner *with vid*

Triaxis, Quad Preamp, Stereo Power series, Recto Preamp

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

skoora
Mark II

New Quad Owner *with vid*

Post by skoora » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:46 pm

Had a studio pre about 5 years ago and kind of wanted one again but wanted to try a quad. Well here it is. Ch 1 sounds a fair bit "bigger" than Ch 2. Clean or dirty. Just has more girth. No idea if this thing has been modded or not. I had it open when I first got it to make sure the tubes shipped OK and it looked fairly original inside. Really digging it so far. CH 1 clean gets an awesome breakup tone with the gain all the way up. Very AC/DC like but slightly cleaner. The Lead channel also responds to volume roll-off great. Get a great chimey breakup tone with the volume down on the guitar. Did a quick vid with my phone just on Lead 1. Using my MKV for power. Gibson 80's V with Wolfetone Marshallheads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdGziAj ... gs=pl%2Cwn

stephen sawall
Single Recto

Re: New Quad Owner *with vid*

Post by stephen sawall » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:51 am

Sounds bad @$$
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

skoora
Mark II

Post by skoora » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:14 pm

Yeah, I dig it. gotta admit I haven't spent much time on CH 2 as CH 1 is so good. Even though CH2 has a little more gain it sounds smaller than CH 1. Mind you, I have no idea if somebody in the past tried mod's etc.
Last edited by skoora on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stephen sawall
Single Recto

Post by stephen sawall » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:57 pm

Saw one in Tacoma not long ago. Don't see many of them around. Just awesome.
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

psihiatros
Mark I

Post by psihiatros » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:04 am

skoora wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:14 pm
Even though CH2 has a little more gain it sounds smaller than CH 1
Yeah, that's because they are 2 different preamps in a box. Ch1= Mark IIC/CH2=Mark III 👍🏼
Had it, sold it. Studio Pre however, that's another story. Just awesome in every way.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

CELESTIAL DOGMA (Electro music coming straight from the heart):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHdQTR ... 4S1Vut6uCg

skoora
Mark II

Post by skoora » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:40 pm

I had a pre in the past as well and CH1 on the quad is as good and from memory a little better than the pre I had. But in kind of agreeing with you, if you really just want the heavy the pre will get it done. I'm interested in what other tones I'll find in ch2 though as I haven't had it long. I love the edge of breakup tones in ch 1 so if can get the heavy tone I need from ch2 it will be great.

psihiatros
Mark I

Post by psihiatros » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:43 pm

You know,
The thing is, whatever i tried with the quad, the studio was always bigger sounding no matter what.
With the quad, you can achieve 4 pseudo sounds or 2 great sounds.
Ch1 for heavy rythm and ch2 for a metal solo/lead sound.
Otherwise, in ch1 you can have a very nice blackface clean sound (studio is God here) and a breakup sound as well.
In ch2 a kind of marshall rhythm sound and a metal solo sound as well.
Best is to have quad and studio in the same rack, with an old 50/50, 2:95, or even a 2:90, in case you wanna go the rack way.
Otherwise, you're better off with a mark V.
That's what i did anyway 🙂
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

CELESTIAL DOGMA (Electro music coming straight from the heart):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHdQTR ... 4S1Vut6uCg

geetar_geek79
Mark I

Post by geetar_geek79 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:50 am

This makes me miss my Quad that I have in storage

3 more years before I see it again... =(

Friedmett
Mark II

Post by Friedmett » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:59 pm

Have Quad preamp and 295 poweramp which is rare in Denmark. Export 220 volt version. Looking to get service and tubes in the near future. Tried the recording outputs on the Quad alone and it sounds pretty good.

This couple may have been together before in the early 1990s when it was new by a guitarist Soren Reiff.

jediguitarist
Mark II

Post by jediguitarist » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:26 pm

Friedmett wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:59 pm
Have Quad preamp and 295 poweramp which is rare in Denmark. Export 220 volt version. Looking to get service and tubes in the near future. Tried the recording outputs on the Quad alone and it sounds pretty good.

This couple may have been together before in the early 1990s when it was new by a guitarist Soren Reiff.
Recording output of the Quad with some impulse responses is very magical!

93 97 98 PRS CE24
94 98 G&L Legacy
94 G&L ASAT Special
95 G&L S-500
99 Peavy Wolfgang
11 Gibson LP Studio 60

69 Bandmaster Head
88 Quad Pre
91 & 92 Simul 295
92 DC-5
96 Mark IV Maple/Wicker
98 5150 combo
08 Mark IV Wide

MkIII Renegade
Mark III

Post by MkIII Renegade » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:09 pm

skoora wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:14 pm
Yeah, I dig it. gotta admit I haven't spent much time on CH 2 as CH 1 is so good. Even though CH2 has a little more gain it sounds smaller than CH 1. Mind you, I have no idea if somebody in the past tried mod's etc.
My Quad is also the way, but it is apparently part of the oddball design. The original manual gives the recommended starter settings which work well together.

As much as I love the face-melting thrashy intensity of Chan 2, I must say Chan 1 is more inspiring for lead work much of the time and any kind of classic big rock chords. And by the way I was digging your Kill 'Em all era riffs! Those are the most fun Metallica songs to jam on IMO. I had great fun recording my instrumental versions of No Remorse, Phantom Lord, Metal Militia, and Hit the Lights. :twisted:
Quad Preamp/2:90
MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb
Mark 4x12 Stack
Charvel 650 Custom/EMG85/SLV/SLV+SPC
Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA
Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
B.C. Rich Eagle Evo2/Air Norton
ESP Eclipse EMG 81/60
Ibanez UV7BK
Charvel 475 Exotic
Fender Tele USA