Triaxis: Do you use the Dynamic Voice?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah i think the DV sucks all the tone!! I just bought this on ebay...think it will work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=300023886271

Would it be OK to run it inbetween the Preamp and poweramp?

Yeah that should work fine. Looks pretty cool too! It's nice to have presets. Reminds me of my Boss EQ-20 pedal.

+Mike+

i was under the impression in guitar your rack you should use a parametric EQ. some brought up james hetfeild, he uses or at least used to use a parametric EQ by aphex.
as far as getting new tubes, i say start with the power tubes. when i changed my stock 6l6's with winged c's it totally changed my sound. also i thought the JJ's preamps were a bit sterile. if you were just playing metal music they would be fine, but the tung sol 12ax7 has a similar type of sound. i thought they were more round and fuller sounding. the gain is the same for the most part. the JJ's are brighter making them seem higher in gain and harmonics but i just adjusted the presence and it evened the playing feild out a bit.
i would definately say that if you are not using the DV you should definately get some kind of EQ. i have parametric EQ and it dialed in the final touched on my sound.

i was thinking of using one of these to use with the triaxis.

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=47

using the left side for pre- distortion EQ and the right side for Post distortion EQ. im talking about the 230D version tho, with the midi connections

good idea? or not?

EDIT: tonesofhome, i wouldve gone for the 230D version of it. it has the adapter built into the unit, so theres no bulky transformer sittin in ur rack. also the 230D has midi so your different EQ presets can be changed according to ur preamp's presets. not bad though

Yeah i thought that this one had midi but when it arrived it didn't!!! I've beed playing around with it and i'm not sure which frequencies to boost to add more low end. I was boosting the 80 -200 range and it seemed to make the tone kinda artificial. I've read that whenever you're using EQ to BOOST frequencies of a guitar amp that the result will never be good. Are EQ's better used to remove unwanted frequencies?

its all to do with experimentation my friend. especially when it comes to an equaliser like this. your current amp's settings, your technique, playing style etc will influence how you EQ your sound. try removing the really low ones too (like 80 and below). you really missed out on the 230D, because it has a feature that lets you see what frequencies pass thorugh the unit. still a good unit though. but yeah, all to do with experimenting and finding out what sounds good. you will have to spend a long time configuring the unit though. its best off that you get your triaxis just the way you like it, and use the EQ to fine-tune your tone.

Rayder said:
try removing the really low ones too (like 80 and below).
+1 (or should I say "-8 ...dB")

I find that removing the lowest frequencies helps clear up the remaining bass, leaving a tight, and clear bass-frequency response that is not muddied by frequencies best reserved for a bass guitar player.

- T

removing 80hz also lets you use the Ld1 Red mode (with the phat mod) because there is so much bass in that channel, you can cut it before it gets processed by the triaxis. thats only for pre-triaxis EQ tho. also, i really like how on the DEQ you can change the frequencies 0.5 db at a time tho. helps you to really fine tune the EQ settings. you are right also, about sounding worse when adding frequencies. when you cut the frequencies, you are removing the ones you dont want (which are the bad ones that makes your tone sound bad). if you boost the right frequences, you will be set, but im guessing you will end up with more cutting and less boosting. thats also why you are getting bad sounds out of it, because you are boosting the "bad" frequencies. again, this is where all the experimenting comes into play.

I actually found that boosting only the 5 frequencies found on the Mark heads (80,240,750,2200,6600) doesn't seem to wreck the original tone. I was thinking of getting the fat mod removed..... a good idea?

try what i mentioned before. put the EQ before the triaxis, use Ld1 Red, and cut 80hz. se if it does anything for the mode. it might save you from spending time (and maybe money) on removing it.

Back