The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:45 am 
Bottle Rocket

Hi y'all!

As I understand it, any tube used after tone controls or after an FX-Loop usually occupies a cathode follower function. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I noticed that both V3 & V5 in the TriAxis might fit the profile. And since I'm retubing my TriAxis, and that you can't use any tube in the cathode follower position due to Voltage tolerance needed, I'd really like to know...

I would really appreciate it if someone could enlighten me!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:23 am 
Mark III

I will correct you, as you are wrong :P But just a tiny bit.

Cathode followers can be used for a variety of functions some of which you mentioned. But they do not have to be, and the term "usually" depends a lot of the amp design in question. Marshall style amplifier circuits (which grew into the Soldano/Rectifier/5150 style circuits) do use Cathode followers (though usually before the tone stack, not after it).

However, the Mesa Mark series (and the Triaxis by extension) grew out of the Fender amp designs, and does not have any cathode followers. I checked the schematic to confirm. So you're safe to use and brand tube for any function and chose what sounds best without worrying about burning one out too quickly. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:34 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Thanks!

Just to be sure. You're talking about the Mark series. My question was about the TriAxis having or not having a cathode follower tube.

When you said you looked at the schematic, were you talking about the Mark or the TriAxis?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:49 pm 
Mark III

Pyramid Head wrote:
Thanks!

Just to be sure. You're talking about the Mark series. My question was about the TriAxis having or not having a cathode follower tube.

When you said you looked at the schematic, were you talking about the Mark or the TriAxis?

The Triaxis is, as far as the design goes, a member of the Mark series. The channels and modes inside it are largely pulled from former Mark series amps. It's the Triaxis schematic I looked at.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:20 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Thank you for your time IronSean!