The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:54 am 
Mark I

Hi,

I allready have the recto preamp and I would like to know if it's worth it to buy the 2:100 power amp or just sell the pre and go with the Reborn head.

How do they compare sound wise?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:38 am 
Mark I

I have both the Recto Recording and the 2:100 and also a Recto Reborn. I like them both, they are very similar in sound but obviously the 2:100 just kills it volume wise, it is extremely loud. You can run 4 Recto cabs easily. But that is what you want with that sort of setup. The Recto Reborn can be 50watts, so quieter, the 2:100 is 200watts.
The Recto Recording sounds good through my 2:90 as well, so you can go that way.

2:90, 2:100, HGAS, Flux Five, Throttle Box EQ,
5 Band EQ, SUS-4 16u Case, Straight Cabs.
And other stuff!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:16 pm 
Mark I

MesaMad1378 wrote:
I have both the Recto Recording and the 2:100 and also a Recto Reborn. I like them both, they are very similar in sound but obviously the 2:100 just kills it volume wise, it is extremely loud. You can run 4 Recto cabs easily. But that is what you want with that sort of setup. The Recto Reborn can be 50watts, so quieter, the 2:100 is 200watts.
The Recto Recording sounds good through my 2:90 as well, so you can go that way.

Thank you very much for your response MesaMad1378 :)
I would like to discuss a little bit more about this if you don't mind.
You see,
I'm bulding a system to play at home/home studio and i am a little confused about wich path i sould follow really. Rack or head?
The clean sound is just as important as the dirty one.
I love the clean sound of the studio preamp.
So I thought, a studio or formula pre for the cleans, the recto pre for the dirt and a cae 3+ for the in between sounds. Change between them into a 2:100 or 2:90 for power amp. Then load down that, take the line signal, mix it with some fx in a line mixer and feed another stereo power amp to feed 2 cabs in stereo.

I also thought about buying a reborn to avoid the recto rack thing ang also have the options for 50-100w, tube/diodes rectifier, spongy/bold and 3 channels instead of 2.
Then throw the studio for cleans and the cae for the other tones to the fx return and be done with it.
I even thought about buying a road king 2 to have a clean channel instead of the studio but I read that the sounds are not metal /tight as the reborn. Plus it costs a fortune.

So, I don't know..
How would you describe the tone from the recto+2:90 Vs recto+2:100 Vs the Reborn?
As far as the dirty tones go, i am in a quest for the perfect combination of a recto and mark distortion together. I mean, recto with an od pedal, mark preamp in a recto poweramp or recto pre in a mark power amp.

Really difficult subject.
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:20 am 
Mark I

Hi there,

I actually like the Recto through the 2:90 best, but it’s not the true Rectifier sound. The Recto and Triaxis mixed through the 2:90 is my favourite sound. When I put them through the 2:100 it is also good but a bit more trebley, not as fat as the 2:90, the 2:100 sounds better cranked than it does down low. The 2:90 sounds good low and at high volumes, it doesn’t get trebley and you can add deep to it if it doesn’t have enough bottom end. The 2:90 does have modern, so it gets very close to the 2:100. Obviously the 2:100 has the dedicated Recto Recording in’s which put all volume control on the preamp unit to.

The cleans from the Recto Recording are pretty good, I like them. The Triaxis has a bit more clean headroom. The Rectifier Reborn isn’t real good at cleans, they are quiet due to having to turn down the Gain a lot. I liked the cleans on my Stiletto Duece II, I used to just use it for my cleans.

I haven’t played with the studio or cae so I have nothing to say about them other than I’d like to try them.

Cheers Brett

2:90, 2:100, HGAS, Flux Five, Throttle Box EQ,
5 Band EQ, SUS-4 16u Case, Straight Cabs.
And other stuff!!