Mesa Recto Reborn or Recto pre + 2:100 ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psihiatros

Reaction score
Hi,

I allready have the recto preamp and I would like to know if it's worth it to buy the 2:100 power amp or just sell the pre and go with the Reborn head.

How do they compare sound wise?

I have both the Recto Recording and the 2:100 and also a Recto Reborn. I like them both, they are very similar in sound but obviously the 2:100 just kills it volume wise, it is extremely loud. You can run 4 Recto cabs easily. But that is what you want with that sort of setup. The Recto Reborn can be 50watts, so quieter, the 2:100 is 200watts.
The Recto Recording sounds good through my 2:90 as well, so you can go that way.

MesaMad1378 said:
I have both the Recto Recording and the 2:100 and also a Recto Reborn. I like them both, they are very similar in sound but obviously the 2:100 just kills it volume wise, it is extremely loud. You can run 4 Recto cabs easily. But that is what you want with that sort of setup. The Recto Reborn can be 50watts, so quieter, the 2:100 is 200watts.
The Recto Recording sounds good through my 2:90 as well, so you can go that way.

Thank you very much for your response MesaMad1378 :)
I would like to discuss a little bit more about this if you don't mind.
You see,
I'm bulding a system to play at home/home studio and i am a little confused about wich path i sould follow really. Rack or head?
The clean sound is just as important as the dirty one.
I love the clean sound of the studio preamp.
So I thought, a studio or formula pre for the cleans, the recto pre for the dirt and a cae 3+ for the in between sounds. Change between them into a 2:100 or 2:90 for power amp. Then load down that, take the line signal, mix it with some fx in a line mixer and feed another stereo power amp to feed 2 cabs in stereo.

I also thought about buying a reborn to avoid the recto rack thing ang also have the options for 50-100w, tube/diodes rectifier, spongy/bold and 3 channels instead of 2.
Then throw the studio for cleans and the cae for the other tones to the fx return and be done with it.
I even thought about buying a road king 2 to have a clean channel instead of the studio but I read that the sounds are not metal /tight as the reborn. Plus it costs a fortune.

So, I don't know..
How would you describe the tone from the recto+2:90 Vs recto+2:100 Vs the Reborn?
As far as the dirty tones go, i am in a quest for the perfect combination of a recto and mark distortion together. I mean, recto with an od pedal, mark preamp in a recto poweramp or recto pre in a mark power amp.

Really difficult subject.
Chris

Hi there,

I actually like the Recto through the 2:90 best, but it’s not the true Rectifier sound. The Recto and Triaxis mixed through the 2:90 is my favourite sound. When I put them through the 2:100 it is also good but a bit more trebley, not as fat as the 2:90, the 2:100 sounds better cranked than it does down low. The 2:90 sounds good low and at high volumes, it doesn’t get trebley and you can add deep to it if it doesn’t have enough bottom end. The 2:90 does have modern, so it gets very close to the 2:100. Obviously the 2:100 has the dedicated Recto Recording in’s which put all volume control on the preamp unit to.

The cleans from the Recto Recording are pretty good, I like them. The Triaxis has a bit more clean headroom. The Rectifier Reborn isn’t real good at cleans, they are quiet due to having to turn down the Gain a lot. I liked the cleans on my Stiletto Duece II, I used to just use it for my cleans.

I haven’t played with the studio or cae so I have nothing to say about them other than I’d like to try them.

Cheers Brett

I'd like to join here, too. I also own a Rectifier Preamp and every now and then I am toying with the idea of getting a Reborn.
In fact, the only relevant sound to me, is the Modern High Gain channel.

My questions:
a. How close is the Preamp channel to the same channel in the Reborn head? If it is super close, it might just get the right power amp

b. I do have a rare Colisseum 300 which was marketed as a Triple Rectifier power amp. However it is heavy and big. So... has anyone compared that one to the 2:100? It does not have the dedicated inputs for the Recto preamp so you would end up with two presence knobs.

Any help might be a real money saver.
As said, I basically only care about that High Gain channel for downtuned stuff. My other amps cover Clean and Crunch here. Thanks for helping

Hi there,

To my ears with the Recto Recording and the 2:100 and the Rectifier Reborn Sound pretty much on par. They are both sound awesome going through 2x 4x12 Recto Cabs.

I think they sound better with EQ after the preamp and before the power amp.

To do the Recto Recording and the 2:100 properly you need 2 EQ pedals, I have 2 MXR KFK 10 band EQ’s. It is pretty awesome, very thick and fat but still tight and not flubby.

If you can get the 2:100 cheaply, go for it. I think the 2:90 does the job good to, if you can get one of them cheaply, go for it. The Recto Reborn is awesome to, if you can get one of them cheaply, go for it to.

All depends where you want to go, if your like me, you’ll probably want them both. I got all my Amps at good prices, the people I got them off just wanted the money and I offered all of them way below what they were asking.

An update on this topic
I went the long way to do a direct comparison: Dual Rectifier Reborn vs Rectifier Recording Preamp into the DR return. In addition I had a Syn-2 with a Dreadplate module by Salvation Mods and a Diabolo by Sacred Groove. The boost being used was an Airis Savage Boost.´The comparison is only about the Modern mode with silcon diodes. Speakers being used were Vintage 30s, the pickup was an EMG81 (a Fluence Modern in this setup sounded too harsh to me).
General observation: I think I might not be a Rectifier guy. The amp tends to be muddy quick and is always pretty harsh in the higher frequencies while the midrange is scooped even with the mid control being pushed. While a boost really cleans up the low registers, I find it hard to geht the harshness under control. Out of all four "models", the Reborn was the most balanced sounding amp typically.
By turning the EQ and Gain controls you can get each model pretty close. The MTS module were more flexible in this scenario since they offer tight switches and boosts. When used with the Savage Boost, all models offered real tight metal sounds (still harsh and scopped). I would still say, the Reborn is the most balanced. Interesting: Both MTS modules had a higher noisefloor than the Boogies. The Salvation Dread Plate has a build in Noise Gate which works ok but not great since there is not Threshold adjustment.
Tough to make a descision: The Reborn is the easiest complete solution, offers three channels and works fine with a boost. The Rectifier Preamp comes close, offers two channels (with three voicings each) and offers the Recording Output (plus possible stereo operation). The modules are great if you already have a main amp and want to add the Rectifier sound to your setup. Both preamps may be combined with different power amps which may be a big benefit. I remember plugging the Rectifier Preamp into a Diezel Hagen and was really floored.

Tough call!

Hi there,
I have both, they are a bit different tone wise, both are good in their own way. I use the 2:90 more, it has less treble/presence. If you can crank it, it is definitely better than the Recto Reborn, it is so powerful.
Obviously the Recto pre & 2:100 are able to drive more cabs, if you have more than 1 cab it’s the go. You can use stereo effects with the Recto pre & 2:100.
Hope this helps you in some way.

Back