The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem w/ 2:90
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:17 am 
Mark I

Greetings, I hope all are well. Recently 2:90 on stand by, half drive led stays on then starts to flicker after a few moments.Stops flickerin when Deep is activated. Powering up , when only 1/2 dr is on and flickering, sounds like thunder from speaker. Deep on, rumblin stops. After on for a while, fln stops. Tone seems ok tho. is this a voltage issue? I have noticed the power on lite flickern a little as well. There is much more that needs addressed but hopefully we will get to it. It is 25+ yrs old. This is a starting point. I hope to hear from you. (sigh) Thanx for ur time! Jim

2:90
4x12 Recto Cab w/ Eminence and V30's
Home made 2x12 half open cab w/ Eminence and V30's
Rocktron Patchmate, Rocktron Intellifex, TS10 Tubescreamer

Post subject: Re: Problem w/ 2:90
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:32 am 
Mark I

Hi Henz,

I have a 2:90 also, when I first turn it on, after being on standby, it has a few crackles for the first 30 seconds then quitens down.
The lights don’t flicker or anything. When I have modern and deep on with half Drive, my half Drive light is very dull but other than that not what you have. Maybe it’s something to do with your tubes, pre and power.
I have played with mine a bit, changing various tubes etc. the next step for me is a full re-cap. At the moment it doesn’t worry me that much.

2:90, 2:100, HGAS, Flux Five, Throttle Box EQ,
5 Band EQ, SUS-4 16u Case, Straight Cabs.
And other stuff!!

Post subject: Re: Problem w/ 2:90
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:48 pm 
Mark I

Thanx for the reply..I have switched so many tubes around, both inside and out, but problem still exists. One big prob w/ this amp is the Power Transformfer conn on board. I did what many ppl did is to hard wire the green wires to board. Based on schematics, i think, that it supports voltage to the switching matrix. I wiggled a green wire while in stand by and the half drive flickering stopped. or so it seemed. still flickering on S/B. When on bench, powered up, the crackles and pops happen when there are little tiny sparks on my power board. After on and playing for a while , amp functions normally. No flickering .Tone seems fine. I'm at the point now where i have come to expect it and it gets me thru another day. Blessings, James.

2:90
4x12 Recto Cab w/ Eminence and V30's
Home made 2x12 half open cab w/ Eminence and V30's
Rocktron Patchmate, Rocktron Intellifex, TS10 Tubescreamer