NAD Fillmore 50 Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfnut

Reaction score
Well I picked this up yesterday. I'm surprised how big it sounds. The cleans are fantastic. More than enough clean head room for me I think. I usually run my Kingsley Page on the clean channel with just a slight amount of break up. So if I'm able to get that from the amp on a gig that would be a bonus. A very simple design on this amp than most Mesa's yet very versatile. The effects loop worked great with my delay run through it. I set the first channel to clean and the second channel to mid gain drive. The over drive on this amp is far superior to the pedal I was using. I used a Waza blues driver for my mid gain and I thought I had a pretty decent sound. But compared to the drive on the mesa the pedal is a bit thinner sounding and splatty. It seems this amp will come through in the areas that I'd hoped from the Tone King Sky King I had but didn't work out.
This amp has passed 2 out of 3 tests. 1. In store test. 2. Home studio test. Now for #3, gig test which will be September 4th.

https://flic.kr/p/2mjv1MLhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/15687573@N04/

The gig was fantastic. I'm blown away how big this Fillmore 50 sounds. I added a Fillmore 1X12 extension cabinet load with a V30. So much versatility with this amp.

golfnut said:
The gig was fantastic. I'm blown away how big this Fillmore 50 sounds. I added a Fillmore 1X12 extension cabinet load with a V30. So much versatility with this amp.

Is that a custom Fillmore 1X12 cab with the V30 instead of the stock C90? Open back?

golfnut said:
Boogie Chillen said:
Is that a custom Fillmore 1X12 cab with the V30 instead of the stock C90? Open back?

Yes

Interesting, I've just ordered a Fillmore 100 combo which should be here in a week or so. I can also get my hands on a stock Fillmore 1X12 23"cab with the C90. I'm thinking it would make a good companion for the combo. The combo would sit on top of the cab with no worries wouldn't it? It's the same dimensions as the Fillmore 50 combo from what I can gather.

Boogie Chillen said:
golfnut said:
Boogie Chillen said:

Yes

Interesting, I've just ordered a Fillmore 100 combo which should be here in a week or so. I can also get my hands on a stock Fillmore 1X12 23"cab with the C90. I'm thinking it would make a good companion for the combo. The combo would sit on top of the cab with no worries wouldn't it? It's the same dimensions as the Fillmore 50 combo from what I can gather.

I had originally ordered an extension cab with the stock C90 but then found a Fillmore ext cab locally with the V30 and wanted to try the different speaker so I cancelled my order. The cabinet was a special custom order. The trim around the grill cloth is gold instead of the white on the combo the "Boogie" is a slightly different color, cream instead of white and the grill cloth is a bit different color, so it doesn't match in looks exactly but I like the contrast. The store I bought the cabinet from says they order their cabinet to visually match their Freidman's and Marshalls.
Yes the 23" will fit perfectly under the combo.

https://flic.kr/p/2mmPXWv https://www.flickr.com/photos/15687573@N04/

golfnut said:
Boogie Chillen said:
golfnut said:

I had originally ordered an extension cab with the stock C90 but then found a Fillmore ext cab locally with the V30 and wanted to try the different speaker so I cancelled my order. The cabinet was a special custom order. The trim around the grill cloth is gold instead of the white on the combo the "Boogie" is a slightly different color, cream instead of white and the grill cloth is a bit different color, so it doesn't match in looks exactly but I like the contrast. The store I bought the cabinet from says they order their cabinet to visually match their Freidman's and Marshalls.
Yes the 23" will fit perfectly under the combo.

https://flic.kr/p/2mmPXWv https://www.flickr.com/photos/15687573@N04/

Thanks for that mate. The rig looks great and I love your telecasters. Do you run each speaker on your Fillmore rig from the 4 ohm outs individually or daisy chain them for a better impedance match, connecting the combo speaker to the parallel out from the ext. cab and run a lead from a single 4 ohm out to the extension cab? Just reading in the Fillmore 100 manual if I understand it correctly,
"Current and recent MESA Cabinetry also provides a Parallel Jack that allows daisy-chaining and this configuration mimics connecting each 8 Ohm Speaker to a separate 4 Ohm Output. This will provide a better impedance match and ensure the full power and headroom is available".

Boogie Chillen said:
golfnut said:
Boogie Chillen said:
Thanks for that mate. The rig looks great and I love your telecasters. Do you run each speaker on your Fillmore rig from the 4 ohm outs individually or daisy chain them for a better impedance match, connecting the combo speaker to the parallel out from the ext. cab and run a lead from a single 4 ohm out to the extension cab? Just reading in the Fillmore 100 manual if I understand it correctly,
"Current and recent MESA Cabinetry also provides a Parallel Jack that allows daisy-chaining and this configuration mimics connecting each 8 Ohm Speaker to a separate 4 Ohm Output. This will provide a better impedance match and ensure the full power and headroom is available".

I read that in the manual as well but didn't really fully understand if I should be connecting each speaker to a separate 4 ohm or daisy chaining the cabinet. So far I've just connected each speaker to a separate 4 ohm tap. I'm not sure how I would daisy chain them and if it would make any difference. In order to daisy chain I'd have to take the speaker jack from the combo and connect it to the input on the 1x12 cabinet then from the other output on the ext cab to the 4 ohm input on the back of the amp. But the speaker jack from the combo doesn't reach to the bottom of the ext cabinet.

golfnut said:
Boogie Chillen said:
golfnut said:
I read that in the manual as well but didn't really fully understand if I should be connecting each speaker to a separate 4 ohm or daisy chaining the cabinet. So far I've just connected each speaker to a separate 4 ohm tap. I'm not sure how I would daisy chain them and if it would make any difference. In order to daisy chain I'd have to take the speaker jack from the combo and connect it to the input on the 1x12 cabinet then from the other output on the ext cab to the 4 ohm input on the back of the amp. But the speaker jack from the combo doesn't reach to the bottom of the ext cabinet.

I did wonder if the lead attached to the combo speaker would reach to the parallel jack on the ext. cab, or indeed if daisy chaining would make a difference and how. If the only way to do it is to extend the speaker lead from the combo I think it's most likely not worthwhile. If it does make a difference then I suppose it would affect your combo more than mine, being a 100 watter with more head room. If I find out more on this I will let you know.

I'm not sure I'd want more headroom than what my fillmore 50 gives me. It doesn't have near the clean headroom as other 40\50 watt amps I've owned but its so easy to get this amp in the sweetspot without attenuators. I never feel like I'm lacking in needed headroom. I don't require "twin" like cleans. I've got a 67 Fender Pro Reverb if I need more clean head room but I can't see me ever needing it. Most of my gigs are outdoor events and the amp gets mic'd up anyway.

I have not experimented with the half power switch yet. I can see it maybe being useful at home. I will be experimenting when I get some time.

Latest posts

Back