Fillmore 50 vs Express 5:50+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfnut

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post here.
The only Mesa amp I've ever owned was about 15 or so years ago I had a lonestar special. Was a beautiful sounding amp but at the time (and now) I require crystal clean (fender blackface) and the lonestar just didn't have it.
Right now I'm using a 1967 Fender Pro reverb that I love but I'd like to leave it at home. I'll not get rid of it as its my only vintage piece and I'd take it out to the odd gig where I can really crank it but mostly want to keep it home.
So I've been looking at the 5:50+ 1X12 combo a used one on Kijiji and a brand new Fillmore 50 1X12 combo at Long and Mcquade. The Fillmore will cost me double but its at a price point that I'm willing to absorb if I'm better off with it. I am pretty green when it comes to Mesa boogies other than my brief past with the lonestar special. I've always gravitated to simpler designs which is why I mostly avoided Mesa Boogie.
The Fillmore 50 kind of intrigues me as it sort of reminds me of a Tone King Sky King that owned for a couple years. The Tone King never lived up to my expectations as I could never seem to volume match the blackface channel with the tweed channel. As well with no effects loop the tweed side was kind of useless for me. It seems the Fillmore addresses that with the effects loop. Channel cloning (although I don't quite understand) may solve the other issue.
So I'm looking for advice. Would the Express 5:50+ be a good option for me or should I spring for the Fillmore 50? I'd be glad to answer any clarifying questions needed to get some helpful responses.

From what I've read the Fillmore 50 lacks in clean headroom, depending on your application. The Lonestar Classic with 4 X 6L6 @ 100/50/10 watts may have suited your needs more than the Special with 4 X EL84 @ 30/15/5 watts, from what I hear it trumps Fender in the crystal clean department. I wish I could offer you some first hand experience on these amps, I've only got my research to offer. I'm after a similar thing as you with crystal cleans, ample clean headroom and nice tight bass response. I've decided to settle on the Fillmore 100 when it's available here, after narrowing down to 2 with the Lonestar Classic.

For clean blackface Fender sounds, I'd chose the Express 5:50+ over the Fillmore 50. The Fillmore is a great amp and I prefer it over an Express, but it is a tweed Bassman type of circuit and isn't quite as clean at volume.

Latest posts

Back