Dual Rectifier volume levels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivsaken

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We are currently jamming in a basement and I seem to be a little nervous about my volume levels.

I have a 3 channel Dual Rec and my channel 2 and 3 masters are at about noon. My Output is at about 1-2 O'Clock. It seems like this might be a little much for jamming volume and the other guitar player has a Line 6 Spider head I am trying to compete with. I like the sound of the amp with my masters at about 11 O'clock and output at about noon but its not loud enough. Am I doing something wrong? I don't wanna push this thing too hard.

Whoa.......................
You say your Channel and Master volumes at 11:00 is not loud enough???
That setting should rattle the building! (assuming you are using Modern voicing).

Check the Effect Loop Send level. Even when you do not use the Loop the send level control is still active if not by-passed. Start with it set around noon.

If that's no help you may have a pre-amp tube issue.

Dom

Yeah I have a gmajor in the FX loop and I have not had the amp modded to Serial yet (not sure if I will). Ill have to check to see what my levels are in the back.

I am still playing with everything to get it all set correctly. I am also using KillDry on the Gmajor as well at this time.

Don't get me wrong its loud and rattleing everything, but not as loud as I would expect.....I may be just going deaf.

Yea, sometime my ears are not as sensitive as they used to be. I guess it's all those years in front of 100W tube amps and loud drummers :lol:

Try turning up the mids a bit also. Your problem may be that you are just not cutting through enough to be heard above the other guitar.

Dom

Yeah it guess it takes a while of reading and asking questions to really get these things set up how you want them. Tone wise everything sounds slick and the effects off the gmajor are great for channel 2 solos. Just gotta get something set here cause something is obviously wrong

you must have a tube problem. if the tube in question has not blown yet, it soon will. i had the same problem with a preamp tube a few weeks ago. the volume was very very low and then one day just nada.

It'll definitely "compete" with the Spider - as you've said you needed to.

The Dual is a MASTER BLASTER!

My master volume rarely goes over 3 - even live. And I use TWO of them.

On a side note: I had a sound guy once tell me "Can that thing get louder?"

I calmly stepped to the mic and said "Dude, it's a Mesa / Boogie - OF COURSE it can get louder!" :lol:

Jesus, you have your volume that high in a basement? You have to be deaf, that is probably the problem. Your Rectifier, if the tubes are all okay, will kill that Spider for volume BIG TIME. 100 tube watts is enough to play a good 1,000 person gig without needing much of a PA.

Your most likely having volume issues due from a lack of knowledge with the loop levels or effects levels. Hard bypass the loop and run just the channel masters as volume controls to eliminate any problems you may be having with the amp, and relish the tone!

dont worry about pushing a dual mesa too hard they will push harder then you can push :) its the cab i would be worried about i have a dual rec two chan and my main volume is on 100 precent but my others are like bairly turned up and i am coming out of a orange 4x12 and i think its perfectly loud enough..maybe my ears are bad... lol

A Line 6? The Line 6 should be competing with you! I uesd to have a Line 6 years ago and in a band mix those amps had 0 balls. Definately check the loop send level on the back of amp and make sure its at about 1 oclock and with your output settings you posted you should bury him. ( I know thats not your intention but with that output volume at 100 watts is hardcore dude).

Yeah I hard bypassed the FX loop and WHHHHHAAAMMMM LOUD AS HELL. I forgot that the channel master are the only know with the FX loop bypassed. I must have something set up wrong in the loop but I do think there is a significant volume drop when the FX loop is engaged.

It has nothing to do with the FX mix. I have the loop only set for channel 2. And having nothing plugged into the loop and just activating the FX loop has a MAJOR volume drop. Its kind of disappointing......i gotta look into this. Any word on this out there?

check your preamp tube for your effects loop send/return. Look for cracks and cap being snowed up. The preamp tube chart should be in your manual.Good luck!

From what I am reading it seems to be an issue.....Ill have to check the tube just to be sure though

I looked up John Petrucci's clinic setting and set my amp to that. This leaves the following

master channels 2 and 3 are at about 11 O'clock

Output knob is at about Noon

In an interview about them, JP said that he doesn't have his amps that loud and you can almost talk over them.

With mine set this way, its loud but not blistering loud. Of course, again with these settings and bypassing the FX loop it will crack an eardrum.

Latest posts

Back