Using Fulldrive for Tremoverb Volume Boost

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieslide

Reaction score
I still have a lot of experimentation to do with my new Tremoverb head. One of the things I would like to be able to do is use my FulldriveII as a volume boost for leads since the Tremoverb does not have the Solo feature. The little I played around with it the other day I noticed that turning on the FDII in front of a clean tone gives a great volume boost. I actually have to keep the volume kinda low so it isn't too much boost. But when I try this with the Orange-Vintage mode set up for my gain tones....there is not much of a volume increase at all even with the volume and overdrive set high on the FDII.

Anyone know why this is? I guess I experienced the same thing with my old Fargen combo. FDII into clean channel was a huge volume increase, while going into the OD channel was not nearly as much. Seemed to do more with that amp than what I get with the Boogie though.

Try putting the pedal in your effects loop (set 100% wet), if you want a volume boost on the overdrive channel also.
When an amp is being overdriven, if you boost the signal to the input you usually only get more overdrive, and not much volume boost. The more distortion you're getting out of the amp, the less volume boost you get from pushing the front end. The effects loop is after the preamp/overdrive portion of the amp, so you would be boosting the signal into the power section, which, in a 100 watt Boogie, is probably not near its volume limit, at any normal playing level.

FB good point about the 100watter not being near it's limit.

The other thing with volume boost is to keep the distortion/drive turned down and crank the levle up. This works for Tubescreamers.

Ned

I tried running my FDII through the Loop the other day. It severly colored the tone and took everything Mesa out of the amp. Didn't sound good at all.
The FDII isn't bad on top of the clean channel, but it seems like the pedal is better suited for a much lower powered amp on the verge of breakup. It has a much smoother rounded sound too rather than the medium crunch I would like to have in a pedal. Making me lean towards letting it go.

I did however have the Tverb rockin in Blues mode tonight and kickin in the FDII helped push it into a more saturated edgey tone for lead work. I probably won't use the Tverb like that too much, but is nice to have the option when I do need it.
I am wondering now what V-stack into the clean mode of the Tverb would sound like?

Back