Does anyone agree that pedals and a recto=tone destroyers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesanomad100

Reaction score
Im wondering If any one else thinks that using distortion/overdrive pedals with a recto just destroys the tone.I dont want to start arguements with the pedal people but really with a recto is there any need for more distortion,there is already every distortion sound possible.Just buy different amps and switch between them.Im not a fan of non-tube gear.I hate cyber mock-ups
peace out
Euan

i think an overdrive pedal would help to smooth out the tone and could be great for solos. Obviously i would keep the gain on the amp quite high and very low on the pedal, just to make it act as a boost. I'm not a fan of pedals for heavy rhythms instead.

I can see what you guys are saying,I do agree that guys who mock solid state but then use say...a boss metal zone through a recto are completly insane and should therefore sit and work with there amps rather than jumping for the most ridiculos gain pedal.(I have encounterd this before,worrying I know!!!).The idea of using a bosst pedal to even out the sounds would probably sound great,what type of pedal do you use
ytse_jam?.Its just overdrive/dist. pedals I dislike,I do love some chorus,delay and other effects but cant stand cheap gain pedals,This said I would check out the keeley modded DS-1,I had one of these for a while and sounded great with my nomad100.

Totally agree with that comment,Its like they are just trying to say that tube amps are the best because the have heard some one else stating that.I love tube amps,for clean and dirty sounds butI also cant hear any tube saturation on any metallica stuff,well not the main guitar tracks anyway,mayby on some of the less promenet tracks but not the primary tracks.

mesanomad100 said:
Im wondering If any one else thinks that using distortion/overdrive pedals with a recto just destroys the tone.I dont want to start arguements with the pedal people but really with a recto is there any need for more distortion,there is already every distortion sound possible.Just buy different amps and switch between them.Im not a fan of non-tube gear.I hate cyber mock-ups
peace out
Euan

Pedals are just a way to flavor up the base tone, that's all. There are many overdrive pedals on the market that preserve an amp's base tone.

Back when I used to have a Dual Rec I liked to use a Boss OD3 Overdrive used as a clean boost. The base tone was preserved, and the OD3 didn't suck bass like the SD1 and some other pedals can.

Palm mutes were alot more defined and there was more sustain, I loved it :)

Just for the hell of it I did try setting a Metalzone as a clean boost once or twice in front of a Dual Rec and it was instant death metal tone, it was insane.

With the recto I don't use OD pedals for "more gain" but rather for different textures and flavors.

I use overdrives and boosters on tube amps often. A V1 Bottle Rocket in front of a Recto, Blue angel, Deluxe reverb, Mark IV, or even a wide-open-throttle Randall solid state amp can be a very good thing, as can a tube screamer, OCD and several others.

As a matter of fact, sometimes when I need an all-out death-metal tone for a part I just fire up the Randall and boost it's testicles off. Tubes may or may not even be a part of the equation.

I'm defintely a more tube-oriented person though, even on heavy stuff, but a good OD or booster is wonderful in the right situation and can help a tube amp Be All It Can Be, so to speak. Using quality tools all the way around and matching the components well and then having the patience to dial it all in are the ingredients for great results, at least in my experience.

M

Brentsp said:
With the recto I don't use OD pedals for "more gain" but rather for different textures and flavors.

Same goes for me. My BB has very little "distortion" and just a tad of extra gain. I only use it for the Rythm 2 Channel on my MK IV now as I have decided that the Roadster is not my cup-o- tea. See the classifieds for more info...

Since where talking pedals I've been thinking about trying one of these pedals with my duel 3ch rec for a Tool cover band.
I know Adam Jones used one of these in recording Lateralus and uses it on tour as well.
The thing is my local GC doesn't have one and so I have no way of test driving one before I buy. And they're not cheap at $250.

I use one pedal in front of my RK1, and that's a TS-808. I only use it for two reasons:

1. Occasionally on Ch 3/4 Vintage to tighten up the tone and to replace the harsh recto crunch with a more focused Mark-ish tone.

2. In front of the clean channel using neck pickups to get a SRV sound.

In both cases, I run the TS-808 with the overdrive down to zero, the tone all the way up, and the level to match my amp's volume when the pedal is on/off.

I could'nt agree more with the original post! I bought into my Mesa Dual Rec so I would'nt have to run any pedals! :? Way more than enough gain on tap, and if there's something wrong with it, I sure would'nt look at a pedal to correct it, maybe your guitar, but c'mon, a distortion/overdrive pedal in front of a Red Mesa channel? I like em just the way they were intended! Guitar>Amp!

Melodyman said:
mesanomad100 said:
peace out
Euan

Pedals are just a way to flavor up the base tone, that's all. There are many overdrive pedals on the market that preserve an amp's base tone.

Back when I used to have a Dual Rec I liked to use a Boss OD3 Overdrive used as a clean boost. The base tone was preserved, and the OD3 didn't suck bass like the SD1 and some other pedals can.

Palm mutes were alot more defined and there was more sustain, I loved it :)

Just for the hell of it I did try setting a Metalzone as a clean boost once or twice in front of a Dual Rec and it was instant death metal tone, it was insane.

And people look at me funny when I suggest trying things that you would normally not even consider as a boost pedal. I often tell people to try the Metal Zone just for kicks. I kind of like what it does sometimes. It is purely subjective. It needs to be used in the right context like anything else. A GE-7 or any other EQ works too so long as you don't get too radical with your tone changing. Level is most important with any boost.

Latest posts

Back