Really weird problem with triple rec.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenOx

Reaction score
This is my first post here so HI all:)

This is a longer story but i would really appreciate if youd take the time to read it :)

I bought myself a triple rectifier(used) and never was quite satisfied with the sound , without tubescreamr it did'nt have any gain ,and if you added gain then it just got muddy, however the solo sounds were good.

Since i had differnet tubes there 1 mesa original 1 electro harmonics and 4 sovteks ( all 6l6) i inveted my frined to my place who took his Mesa Boogie Mark III Coliseum 300 Blue Stripe with him. Since that amp has exactly the same amount of tubes 6x 6l6 and 5 pre amp tubes we decided to but all his tubes to my triple rec and see if it will go any better.

When we had done it we tryed the amp and it was a bit better but still not right .

So my mate suggested that lets try to use his fuse. He told it because he knew that i had blown a fuse before since i accidently but 220 to it and i repleced it with some random 3A i dont even knwo if it was slow blow or not(also i am not aware of the importance using slow blow). Anyway we but his mark III' fuse Slow Blow 8 A 220 v into my triple rec and man i could'nt believe my ears it was like a different amp , all that rectifier brutal dirive with that low and and in your face sound was there suddenly there:O

Then we but my tubes and fuse back again and the sound was gone again.

Later i discussed it with sever people who know some about electronics and they all said that it is weird since fuse should'nt make such a difference , but i know what i heard. Maybe it was somthing else but....

So my question , is it possible what i just described(that wrong fuse can ruin your sound) , and witch is the best fuse for triple rectifier . I orderd all jj new tubes they should arrive soon so i am wondering witch fuse should i get.

Thank you for reading , anything can help:)

Oliver

buy a fuse of the rating stated on the amp next to the fuse clip thingy..nothing else ,becasue then the fuse wouldn't be do wat it's ment to do ..

When you think about it, a fuse's job is to limit current, if you have to much current it blows.

With that being said, if you are using the wrong fuse you are limiting the amount of current going into the circuit, which in turn could make the amp sound like crap.

Make sure to get the right voltage/current fuse, should be listed on the back of the amp.

siggy14 said:
When you think about it, a fuse's job is to limit current, if you have to much current it blows.

With that being said, if you are using the wrong fuse you are limiting the amount of current going into the circuit, which in turn could make the amp sound like crap.

Make sure to get the right voltage/current fuse, should be listed on the back of the amp.

Does the fuse actually limit the current or does it just blow if the current exceeds the fuse rating? I didn't think the fuse did anything but protect the amp if the current goes over the rating?

Chris

Think of a fuse as like a ballon, you put to much air into then it pops, a fuse is the same way, you put more current into it then it can handle then it pop/blow.

Technically a fuse is suppose to blow if it exceeds to much current, usually the fast blow fuses are designed for that.

The slo blow's are usually designed for shorts in a circuit, meaning large amounts of excessive current for more then a split second.

Now if he put in a 2 amp slo blow in a spot that is suppose to have a 3 amp slo blow, technicaly there is not a large amount of excessive current but he is also limiting the amp from getting the proper current.

SgtThump said:
siggy14 said:

Does the fuse actually limit the current or does it just blow if the current exceeds the fuse rating? I didn't think the fuse did anything but protect the amp if the current goes over the rating?

Chris

Are SLO BLO fuses the same as time delay fuses? Is it just that different brands give them different names?

Buss fuses come in fast-acting and time delay. I have been using the time delay ones because I have been assuming they were the same as a SLO BLO. Anyone know for sure?

I believe so, best bet might be to call mesa.

Troy said:
Are SLO BLO fuses the same as time delay fuses? Is it just that different brands give them different names?

Buss fuses come in fast-acting and time delay. I have been using the time delay ones because I have been assuming they were the same as a SLO BLO. Anyone know for sure?

A fuse is designed to protect a circuit in the event that the circuit itself begins to draw more current than it was designed for (ie. a short). Fuses DO NOT modify the current flow, unless the fuse fails because of a problem like a short, which is where it will cut-off the current completely, not reduce it.

Now if the contact ends of the fuse are corroded or dirty, this could pose a poor connection that could restrict current flow, like when the terminals on your car battery get corroded and the car will not crank over.

I'm not sure if time delay and slo-blow are the same. Slo-blo simply means that the fuse will handle a very quick surge of current above it's rating, but only for a split second. This way the fuse doesn't blow when you switch the amp on and all the components are grabbing for current at once.

Dom

Latest posts

Back