Using a second preamp before 2/CH RECTO's Clean Channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerofivefour

Reaction score
My thought is to place an Egnater M4 or Randall RM4 in front of the clean channel and thereby create a psuedo multi channel 'Boogie-Monster' of Tone.

Ive successfully done this with a Soldano G.T.O. and have thereby created an amazing sounding 3 Channel Rectifier with Great Soldano Overdrive as my Brown Channel. I've used the Digital Music GCX for all switching. The soldano coupled with the 6l6 power section of the boogie gives me a great Brown sound voiced closely to that of early ZZtop tones, and Van Halen Tones.

Now the Soldano is designed to go in front of an amp. I'm wondering if the egnater M4 would have any issues being placed directly before the clean channel of the Recto.

Any input is appreciated.

One thing you can try is running the Soldano into the FX return which should be right in front of the power amp section. You would need a A/B box to then switch between the Soldano/Egnator or Mesa preamp section.

Other than than if the Soldano works going straight into the amp I don't see why the RM4 wouldn't either.

The new Egnator modules have dual channel per module. Got some pics at NAMM and spent about 15 minutes talking to Bruce E. Should get pics up this evening.

Ned

Get something like a Boss LS-2, or a two loop Loooper or something.

Connect is as such;

Loop A Out -> Recto input
Loop A In -> Recto FX Send
Loop B Out -> Preamp Input
Loop B In -> Preamp send

Then, run the overall output into the FX return on your Boogie head....doing it this way will let the new preamp drive the power amp directly, vice overdriving the preamp on your Rectifier.

ned said:
The new Egnator modules have dual channel per module. Got some pics at NAMM and spent about 15 minutes talking to Bruce E. Should get pics up this evening.

Ned

Ned,

I would be very interested in seeing these pics.
Are they online?

Thanks,

Mesa/Toobie said:
There´s also a small line mixer by nobels. This one has four inputs and two outputs, so you can plug in up to four preamps and plug them into your recto.
Why not just run two amps? If need be there are switchers specifically made for switching cabs and heads. You could just use two heads and one cab. :idea: If I wanted multiple channels that's the route I'd go. Just a thought.

Pics of the Egnator stuff isn't up yet. I'll post them this evening when I get home from work.

Ned

mullet_king said:
Why not just run two amps? ...You could just use two heads and one cab. :idea: If I wanted multiple channels that's the route I'd go.

Really? That is a seriously expensive and HEAVY way to achieve multiple channels. Wicked cool, though, if you've got big roadies or never need to haul it from the practice room.

054 said:
My thought is to place an Egnater M4 or Randall RM4 in front of the clean channel and thereby create a psuedo multi channel 'Boogie-Monster' of Tone.

Wouldn't hurt to try it. Although I had great success running my JMP-1 into the Boogie FX return.

One nice advantage to running an additional preamp in parallel with (not before) your clean/dirty channels is the ability to have complete control over individual channel volume. Essentially it really does create (an) additional independent channel(s).

As mentioned, the looper is an option, but I wonder how fast and silent the switching would be. There isn't much flexibility available going that route, either. I like the mixer idea, I'd be interested in playing around with something like that that allows more FX spillover.

I'm using a GCX/Ground Control now to switch between my Tremoverb's preamp and a JMP-1 plugged into the FX return. The switching is great, the only gripe I have is the lack of FX delay spillover when changing FX patches... but that isn't a preamp or switcher issue, it could be rectified with a mixer or different FX unit. The GCX allows complete control of preamps, channels, loops, fx programming, more, and is true bypass. I couldn't be happier with the unit itself. But, it isn't exactly inexpensive.

Back