What cab for Rectos???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humbility

Reaction score
Hi all. I am looking to get a nice 4x12 cab for my Single Recto. Now I know that the obvious choice is a mesa cab. Now I was wondering what other ppl are using for their Rectos (Single, Dual, or Tripple for that matter) and why. If anyone would like to share their thoughts on this I would greatly apreciate it.

Hum

I use a Line6 Vetta cab with my Rectoverb. I like it... but I wouldn't mind trying a Mesa cab.

i use a trace elliot guitar cabinet

its made in england and even tho its considered a budget cabinet its still good wood and made in england.

its shorter then a mesa so its not as dark sounding but its also a bit deeper then a marshall cabinet so its in between and compliments the mesa well i figured a guitar cabinet made by a bass company should be good because mesas are known for their low end and also the cabinet has high head room. it has celestions in it.

cool TE nice choice. Last nite I tried a Boogie Oversized slant cab with v30's in it. Sounded really nice but then I a/b'd it with a 16ohm hiwatt cab. No idea whats in it but it was way more boomy and tighter low end. Not nearly as loud though. I wonder if maybe something other than v30's will wet my pallet. Something with higher wattage speakers. What are the newer marshalls loaded with these days I wonder

Hum

The Line6 Cab is loaded with Celestian speakers that are made for Line6. They are EQed flat... think acoustic amp speakers....

The reason why I use this cab is cos I have a Line6 amp too... and with it's "cabinet modeling" it's important to have these speakers...

When I got the Boogie head, I tried it on the cab and it sounded good... I use an EQ in the fx loop too... so it suits my taste for now.

I still wanna try a boogie cab though.

cool. Yeah I have hear alot of good things about the line 6 stuff. I tried a combo the other day and I was taken aback. Really nice sounding at ANY volume. Tonnes of options..2x12 and it was like 700 bux Can. Easily a great deal. Ah gotta love toys. lol

Hum

I play hard rock in the vein of Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, STP, stuff like that. Thanx for all of your input everyone. It deffinatly helps.

Hum

Genz Benz G-flex cabs. I have a 2x12 and I would put it up against almost any 4x12 out there!! This thing thumps with the ported cab design, it's also nicely rounded as far as the mids and highs too. I've had this cab for about a year and a half and still LOVE it! I did have 2 of them but I had to sell one to get the rest of the money together for my Triple Recto. I did go through my share of cabs before getting the Genz Benz, before that I had a Peavey 4x12 from the late 80s with celestions, that had too much low end, I had a Line 6 4x12 (not the Vetta), and a 5150 slant cab and the Genz is the best sounding of all of them.

Thats my $.02 worth

Traditional Rectifier cab. Smaller, tighter and more focused than the oversized version. Great cab.

Hey! I was at the store where I bought my Single Recto from tonight looking to try some diff cabs. They happened to have 2 JCM 800 cabs there that were $500 each(Canadian that is). The Vinyl was a little torn and what not but that dont really matter. I plugged in and it sounded really nice. Same price as the Mesa recto oversized cab that my friend has that he wants to sell me but I kinda like the tighter sound from the smaller cab. I'll try a few others but so far I like the JCM 800 4x12. THoughts??

Hum

I use a JCM900 SLant 4X12 with my Triple and love it I have not tried a Mesa cab but the Marshall is more than fine for me.

I just sold my bottom to it the other day as it was not needed with the Triple both cabs sounded the same pretty much and I recommend them they are generally found alot cheaper used than a mesa too.

Humbility said:
I kinda like the tighter sound from the smaller cab. I'll try a few others but so far I like the JCM 800 4x12. THoughts??

The Marshall1960 cab is actually even a lot tighter than the Mesa trad cab, thanks to the speakers. V30s dont have the tightest bass response, matter of fact the low end on em can get distorted and muddy pretty quick if you arent careful with your EQ settings.

I play mostly hardcore and metal, and I wouldnt trade my Marshall1960a for 2 Mesa recto 4x12s.

If you want a really nice sound though, mix the two together (mesa and marshall, or just v30 and GT75)

no soul said:
The Marshall1960 cab is actually even a lot tighter than the Mesa trad cab, thanks to the speakers. V30s dont have the tightest bass response, matter of fact the low end on em can get distorted and muddy pretty quick if you arent careful with your EQ settings.

I play mostly hardcore and metal, and I wouldnt trade my Marshall1960a for 2 Mesa recto 4x12s.

If you want a really nice sound though, mix the two together (mesa and marshall, or just v30 and GT75)

I'm running a pair of JCM900 cabs with my DR. They are loaded with V-30's and Greenbacks. I think it's a pretty pleasant sounding combination. I play a pretty wide variety of stuff from hardcore to punk, and this setup just plain works for me.

Bullen said:
Traditional Rectifier cab. Smaller, tighter and more focused than the oversized version. Great cab.

I agree with Bullen. Since Recto's are known for being bassy to begin with, I think the traditional cab keeps the low end tight but still big.

I've wanted to try a cab with EV's like Zakk Wylde uses but haven't seen one around. I don't think many cabs come loaded with EV's and I'm not at a point where I went to spend a couple hundred $'s to try them out in my cab. Has anyone used EV speakers in their cab?

Back