Proper IR Loading with Built-In CabClone!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronR

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a while and today I decided to create an account.
I want to share a cool recording trick that I figured out. It works for Mark 5:25, Mark 5:35, JP2c, TC50 and TC100.

I've been playing a Mark V 35 for over 2 years now and love the tones I get out of it. Whenever it came to recording however, I struggled. I tried using the FX send into my Helix and loading IRs there but the tone was shrill and weak because it missed the poweramp. I also tried to emulate a poweramp inside the Helix but the result was not great. While I like the CabClone for live applications, I did not like the tones enough for recording.

But as an engineer, where there's a problem, there's a solution!

I knew that the CabClone applied a passive filter to the signal so I went ahead and measured it. I then engineered IRs that apply the exact opposite EQ. This allows you to get rid of the cab simulation of the built-in CabClone and apply your own IRs to the complete amp signal, including poweramp characteristics!

You can download the IRs here https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6zkb0x2ed2ayez/CabCloneRecordingIRs_HX.zip?dl=0
I always use the Vintage voicing but for Mark 25 ownders I included a Closed Back version. The _trimmed versions are optimized to be used with a Line6 Helix.

Instructions:

1. Set your tone on the amp however you like it. You can connect a speaker for best results but using the dummy-load also works fine and is better for the neighbors :D

2. Set your CabClone to the Vintage (or Closed) voicing and connect the XLR to your audio interface

3. Record your guitar parts. You can use the CabClone signal for monitoring during recording

4. Within your DAW, load two instances of the Pulse IR loader onto the guitar track. In the first, load the appropriate CabClone IR from my Dropbox. Because IRs can only work as passive EQs, you need to crank the levels in order to get a good level into the second instance of Pulse.

5. Load whatever IR you like into the second Pulse and enjoy a great silently recorded tone from your favourite amp!

Try it out and tell me what you think.

I tried loading Pulse into Logic Pro X, but it said it couldn't validate the manufacturer and there didn't appear to be a way around that.

Any chance you know how to get your IR to work in Space Designer (built in reverb in Logic)? When I load it, there is no sound :(

Hi,

I don't own Logic so I can't try that our. The IRs worked with Pulse and Helix Native for me. Maybe you should try another Guitar Impulse loader like NadIR and report back.
For me, I've used it on most of my recrodings since I came up with the idea and never had any problems. I hope you can make it work too!

AaronR said:
Hello everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a while and today I decided to create an account.
I want to share a cool recording trick that I figured out. It works for Mark 5:25, Mark 5:35, JP2c, TC50 and TC100.

I've been playing a Mark V 35 for over 2 years now and love the tones I get out of it. Whenever it came to recording however, I struggled. I tried using the FX send into my Helix and loading IRs there but the tone was shrill and weak because it missed the poweramp. I also tried to emulate a poweramp inside the Helix but the result was not great. While I like the CabClone for live applications, I did not like the tones enough for recording.

But as an engineer, where there's a problem, there's a solution!

I knew that the CabClone applied a passive filter to the signal so I went ahead and measured it. I then engineered IRs that apply the exact opposite EQ. This allows you to get rid of the cab simulation of the built-in CabClone and apply your own IRs to the complete amp signal, including poweramp characteristics!

You can download the IRs here https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6zkb0x2ed2ayez/CabCloneRecordingIRs_HX.zip?dl=0
I always use the Vintage voicing but for Mark 25 ownders I included a Closed Back version. The _trimmed versions are optimized to be used with a Line6 Helix.

Instructions:

1. Set your tone on the amp however you like it. You can connect a speaker for best results but using the dummy-load also works fine and is better for the neighbors :D

2. Set your CabClone to the Vintage (or Closed) voicing and connect the XLR to your audio interface

3. Record your guitar parts. You can use the CabClone signal for monitoring during recording

4. Within your DAW, load two instances of the Pulse IR loader onto the guitar track. In the first, load the appropriate CabClone IR from my Dropbox. Because IRs can only work as passive EQs, you need to crank the levels in order to get a good level into the second instance of Pulse.

5. Load whatever IR you like into the second Pulse and enjoy a great silently recorded tone from your favourite amp!

Try it out and tell me what you think.

Loading the IR kills the signal? Tried with several different IR loaders? I loaded yours first, CRANKED that output to the second instance and I do not get any sound at all unless I bypass the IR loader that has your IR loaded. Any idea?

Hi,

I just saw the replies. I tried them again on different computers using Reaper and the pulse IR loader. The signal is attenuated by the IRs by over 20dB so depending on the gain that your IR loader is able to add you may need to crank the gain on the second instance as well or even add a gain stage plugin in between the two IR loaders.

I have been recording with these for a while and didnt have any problems. They are especially useful when just recording a band rehearsal and making the amp sound good later on.

Hi there, I've been pondering trying to do similar for ages, but never got round to it. Thanks for sharing these files.

What method did you use to create the response of the Cabclone so you could then remove it? Did you run sine/impulse through it? Did you model the components in the speaker sim?

Back