Original Mesa Traditional 4x12 Straight Cab Speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlCapwn

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any definitive information on this so I thought I would pose the question here.

Many, many years ago (I want to say late 90's) my brother had an awesome Mesa Rectifier setup with an original Traditional 4x12 straight cab (closed back). It was definitely my most favorite sounding cab I've ever heard. He swears up and down that all 4 speakers had the 'Black Shadow' label.

I know there have been quite a few mesa speakers with the 'Black Shadow' label, MC-90's, EVM12L's, MS-12's etc.

Thanks for your time

Update: After a grueling search I think I may have FINALLY discovered what he had. I believe it was a special order 4CB cab. This one I stumbled across is almost exact.

https://reverb.com/item/2141109-mesa-engineering-4cb-black

The only thing not the same is that this one is a bizarre straight/angled instead of true straight, but there are lots of straight 4CB cabs with 4 MC90's, but they all appear to have open backs.

The only information my brother could remember is that he had a friend at GuitarCenter at the time and he told my brother he could special order a cab with 4 black shadows instead of V30s. But he had no idea what model of black shadows they were.

But after talking with a Mesa support tech they told me in the time frame he got his cab the only black shadow speakers being offered were the MC90s.

So I guess the Mesa 4x12 closed back cab loaded with 4 MC90s really did exist, just seems to be extremely rare. I wonder why they don't still offer it, I had a custom cab made a long time ago which I loaded with MC90's, and I had the guy make the cab so I can have it either closed, 1/4 or 1/2 open. And personally I think it sounds way better closed.

Yup, that's a rare MESA 4x12" (straight front but slant baffle). I seen those in MESA catalogs but it was a short run of enclosures.

To add to this old thread, the 4CB is a smaller cab than the trad, I want to say 28" wide and is the bomb.

It sounds like you narrowed your brother's down to a trad with MC-90's custom. That would be a rare sighting and hard to say if the plate would show 4CB for drivers or 4FB for the trad cab.. A recto (normally 4FB) loaded with greenbacks from the factory gets a different letter.

I have once seen a 4EB with EVM 12L's. The drivers didn't have the BS sticker iirc, and I don't remember if they were the classics or bareback OEM but they were 4ohm which you never see. So EV's were possible without BS stickers but that cab would be ~twice the price from the factory.

Back