6L6 str 441 make and model?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bross63

Reaction score
Does anyone know the brand and model of the Mesa 6L6 str 441 as well as the other Mesa 6L6 offerings (6L6 str 440, 6L6 str 445, and 5881 str 425)?

Have any of you tried the 441 tubes in place of the 440?

Thanks for any input.

There was another thread here on those tubes (441s), and the general consensus was that they were re-branded Tung-Sol 6L6 STRs. I purchased a quad of Tung-Sols from another seller and put them in my Mark V, since that's what Mesa now says are the stock compliment. I have an old document (can't vouch for its accuracy) that says the 440s are Chinese - no brand mentioned. The 5881 STR 425s are supposed to be Sovtek. The document I have doesn't mention the 6L6 445, so I can't offer any info on those.

Sadly, I haven't had the chance to power up the V and seriously test the new Tung-Sols. I've only run the amp clean at moderate volumes. It still sounded great, but I haven't had any other experiences with the new tubes yet.

Thanks for your reply and info. Please let me know your thoughts when you are able to fully play and get a feel for the tubes. Thanks again

I had a day alone at my house, so I broke out my V with the Tung Sols and cranked it up. Pretty sure my dogs hate me now.
There was definitely an increase to the bottom end. It wasn't flubby at all, just more pronounced and more full. The top end sounded a bit more rounded, but no loss of high end, just less spikey - or at least that was my take. I liked the sound of the tubes, overall, across all three channels. I even swapped cabs between my vertical 2x12 and a single 12 EVM. I have to agree with Mesa on these tubes for the V - they are a better fit for the tone of the amp.

Bross63 said:
Does anyone know the brand and model of the Mesa 6L6 str 441 as well as the other Mesa 6L6 offerings (6L6 str 440, 6L6 str 445, and 5881 str 425)?

Have any of you tried the 441 tubes in place of the 440?

Thanks for any input.

I haven’t used the 440’s but my Mark V 90 head came stock with the 441’s and the other post was correct they say Tung-Sol on them. I’m curious what the 440’s sound like because pretty much any package deal for buying Mesa Tubes for the Mark V has the 440. I’d also be curious to hear the SPAX7’s as most offer it as an upgrade option to bundle. I know there’s been confusion on other threads about not using Mesa tubes voiding your warranty. I’ve talked to the owner of Mesa Hollywood on a couple occasions and he said that’s false, since they obviously use 3rd Party tubes from Tung Sol stamped Mesa anyways. Let me know what you think of 440 vs 441, I’d really like to get some input before I invest in a $300 bundle lol

Using any tubes other than Mesa branded tubes voids your warranty, period.

Everybody already knows that Mesa does not make tubes, they never have. They have always used Sovtek, Shuguang, etc since day one, their current 12AX7 is a Mesa branded JJ ECC83S. There are only a small handful of vacuum tube manufacturers despite the bevy of different names on the glass.

Mesa stringently screens their supplied tubes to ensure that they will not fail or damage the amp, and provide consistent tone. That is the root of the warranty clause. You need to use tubes that meet Mesa spec’s or you risk damaging your amp if you don’t know what you are doing.

domct203 said:
Using any tubes other than Mesa branded tubes voids your warranty, period.

Everybody already knows that Mesa does not make tubes, they never have. They have always used Sovtek, Shuguang, etc since day one, their current 12AX7 is a Mesa branded JJ ECC83S. There are only a small handful of vacuum tube manufacturers despite the bevy of different names on the glass.

Mesa stringently screens their supplied tubes to ensure that they will not fail or damage the amp, and provide consistent tone. That is the root of the warranty clause. You need to use tubes that meet Mesa spec’s or you risk damaging your amp if you don’t know what you are doing.

Well might want to talk to the main Mesa Boogie distributor in Hollywood on that. As I literally have emails from them saying otherwise. I don’t really care either way. I use Mesa Stamped Tubes regardless, since they’re still 3rd party tubes. I’ve got no dog in this fight. Just relaying what I’ve been told by the store that the official Mesa Boogie website provides for purchasing it’s products

https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360043844133/US___Canada_Limited_Five-Year_Warranty_for_Amplifiers_and_Cabinets.pdf?mobile_site=true

Please read the second to last sentence under ‘owner maintenance’:

” This Warranty becomes void if any tubes other than genuine MESA tubes are used.”.

It’s your amp, do as you wish, but I think you have been given poor advise..... I know I’m not risking my warranty on a $70 pair of tubes.

domct203 said:
https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360043844133/US___Canada_Limited_Five-Year_Warranty_for_Amplifiers_and_Cabinets.pdf?mobile_site=true

Please read the second to last sentence under ‘owner maintenance’:

” This Warranty becomes void if any tubes other than genuine MESA tubes are used.”.

It’s your amp, do as you wish, but I think you have been given poor advise..... I know I’m not risking my warranty on a $70 pair of tubes.

I came to the chat looking for information for buying Mesa Stamped, let me repeat Mesa Stamped Tubes. Comparing the 440 vs 441. I relayed information by Mesa Boogie Hollywood and stated that I don’t have a dog in this fight, because once again, I use, and will continue to use MESA STAMPED TUBES. So I don’t know why you are still commenting with nothing of value to add to the actual thread subject. You stated it could hurt an amp using wrong tubes, yea so could putting any Mesa stamped tubes in wrong location. So, I don’t really understand the point of your argument there. I never told people to not buy Mesa Stamped Tubes, just that they ARE 3rd party tubes stamped Mesa which you repeated as well for some reason, I dunno why. I’m not here to get in a frivolous argument when my initial question was once again concerning MESA STAMPED TUBES. Since you’ve had nothing of value to add to this discussion could you please just move on. I don’t really care to be talked down to by a moderator on a unofficial Mesa Boogie forum. Sheesh, jaded much?

Mr.Wolfe said:
I know there’s been confusion on other threads about not using Mesa tubes voiding your warranty. I’ve talked to the owner of Mesa Hollywood on a couple occasions and he said that’s false, since they obviously use 3rd Party tubes from Tung Sol stamped Mesa anyways.
Your statement above was misleading and incorrect, sorry you can’t handle being called out about it. If that is indeed what Mesa Hollywood told you, you were misinformed.

If someone is posting incorrect information like that I am going to correct them.

I’ll freely post as I like and won’t succumb to your ‘cancel culture’ reply.

domct203 said:
Mr.Wolfe said:
I know there’s been confusion on other threads about not using Mesa tubes voiding your warranty. I’ve talked to the owner of Mesa Hollywood on a couple occasions and he said that’s false, since they obviously use 3rd Party tubes from Tung Sol stamped Mesa anyways.
Your statement above was misleading and incorrect, sorry you can’t handle being called out about it. If that is indeed what Mesa Hollywood told you, you were misinformed.

If someone is posting incorrect information like that I am going to correct them.

I’ll freely post as I like and won’t succumb to your ‘cancel culture’ reply.

Easy there online rent-a-cop. I think I’ll just take my initial question to a legit forum... Doesn’t look like I’m getting any useful information from here. Enjoy moderating a useless unofficial Mesa Boogie forum that asks for donations and like 20 people are active on. Must be some exhilarating, life-altering work lol, peace.

Back