New vid: Mark V / JP2c / c+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaymz

Reaction score
Hi All

I was testing out the reamping on the new axe fx and put together a short vid comparing the heavy rhythm or lead channels of the Mark V, JP2C and c+ as well as an Axe FX preset I made to mimic the JP2C.

Despite being a short clip you can tell the slight tonal differences between the amps. A few could be brought closer in tone with a bit of tweaking.

Interestingly, based on my A/B tests I've always thought the JP sounds like the c+'s pull deep is not engaged so I didn't pull deep for this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qSPWESMTNo&t=14s

I didn't search tirelessly for the perfect mic position so this is by no means meant to be a best representation of the amps. More just something quick to demonstrate how closer they are tonally and where they differ.

Thanks for that comparison. It would be great if you could share your settings for each amp, especially on the Mark V between crunch and iic+ modes.

Also, any tube mods, like an AT7 somewhere?

Thanks!

Hey Mace

I'll upload some photos at some stage. Setting below are time face (o'clock).

Crunch:
- G: 5
- T: 3
- M: Max
- B: 9

C+ Mode:
- G: 3
- T: 1:30 - 2
- M: 4 - 4:30
- B: 10:30 - 11

Worth noting that the V and the C+ are slaved through the JP'c power amp. I've AB'd them with and without their own power amps and there's minimal difference if any and the slave captures the power amp tonality of each of the amps. This means all presence / GEQ are coming through the JP's power amp. Presence on 11 o'clock and GEQ V with 80 and 6600 middle of mid to ton, and 750 just below middle to bottom lines.

AT7 in the V v4 slot.

I should add:

V set to variac, channel 2 and 3 on 45w and 2 set to tube rectifier with 3 set to triode. From my readings of the V manual the original c+s are set to triode. Variac is a choice to get a bit more bounce or sag that you'd find in the c+ or JP2C, I expect due to the monstrous 105 transformer.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmBhuT2m

Latest posts

Back