Maverick

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandor

Reaction score
I've been reading some info on the maverick.
It looks like an interesting amp.

Has anyone got one/played one?

I own a 1x12. It's a great little amp. It has a funny mid eq spike, makes it sound really fat and one of the best clean tones in the boogie catalog.

Before I owned the Mav I had a Nomad 45 and was borrowing a friends F-30 to see if I liked it better than the Nomad. I stumbled on the now deleted 1x12 Mav in a store and put all three amps side by side and switched between them using my LP. The Mav won hands down. Not as much gain as the F-30 and the 45 but the mids ate both amps on the lead channel and it had the best clean tone of all of them, in fact it's the best clean tone I've ever heard with my LP (and I owned a Twin Reverb prior to the 45). Due to the mid spike on the lead channel the neck pick up on my LP (490R) gets a little muddy, might need to change to an SD seth lover or a 59, I use a parametric eq to fix it.

The Mav is an acquired taste definately. It doesn't compare to anything else I've ever heard, it has its own voice.

I have tried the 2x12 Mav but the V30's wreck the sweet tone this thing produces. So yeah, I'm sold on them. Totally old school which suits me.

Hope that provides some insight for you.

Jon

Yeah the 1x12s had 90's in them. I find that the better efficiency of the 90s help the speaker to breath a bit easier so the sound isn't quite as compressed as the V30's. I did hook up a single V30 to the Mav at some stage and the difference in tone was amazing. The 90s are pretty good speakers really.

Jon

edit: I thought the 4x10 and 2x12 were still in production? Just the heads and singles were deleted?

I really like the 2X12 Mav with Vintage 30's, but I'm one of the many who love the distinct tone of Vintage 30's. The Mav head through the Boogie widebody 1x12 (Black shadow) is also really nice. I believe even if the Mav's are still in production, the Lone Star Special, is meant to be it's eventual replacement. Maverick's have a very distinct tone unlike any other Boogie. I believe most people, that would like their sound, normally don't look to Mesa for a new amp. They are much more in the boutique mid gain camp, like a DR Z or something.

The MB website says the Mav is still available as a head, 2x12 and 4x10 combo.

Ned

I have the 4-10 version. The Best sclean sounding amp I've ever owned, not to fond of the distortion channel but then I'm not playing blues which is what this amp seems to be for. I would prefer a 2-12 setup as 10's are really bright but they definately cut through. Thinking of selling mine to get a fender showman head.

Grandor said:
I've been reading some info on the maverick.
It looks like an interesting amp.

Has anyone got one/played one?

Very similar amp to the DC-3, same distortion channel says the Boogie tech folks. Has the same 35 watt Dynawatt "Class A" power section.

In a nutshell, it's an EL84 amp that sounds like a classic Boogie, with a bright clean channel.

I once saw Lee Ritenour playing one, with Larry Carlton. Incredible tone from the little Maverick beast.

Back