The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:26 am 
Donating Member

I have a Rev. G Dual Rec and a Mark V.
Neither one of these amps does what I want.....

I love the cut of the Mark V, but it can't give me a huge thump like the Rectifier.
I love the thump of the Rec, and the tone/feel of the lead channel, but the Orange/clean channel does nothing for me.

I got to play a TC-50 for about 5 minutes in the Mesa Hollywood store. The guys that work there were hovering and it bothered me, so I didn't stay long. To top it off, the only guitar that they would let me use was a beat up old Schecter Strat copy with flat frets.
At one point, I cranked the gain on channel 3 just to see what it would do. All of the sudden, I hear a somewhat scolding voice from across the room....."That's a lot of gain."
I think I left after that.
I had $2,000 in my pocket and wanted the TC, but they unsold it for me........

Anyway,
My questions are:
1. Can the TC 100 provide that thump like I am used to?
I'm not looking for metal chunk, I'm just looking for the deep bass thud that hits you in the chest with the air from your speakers.
Even my DC-3 gives me more thump than my Mark V.

2. Is there any pop/glitch/drop in sound when changing channels on the TC?

3. How does the clean channel sound through a 4x12? I have the Traditional/Stiletto Mesa 4x12 cab.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live on a small island and do not have an opportunity at this point to go play one in person.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:20 pm 
Mark III

That's very disappointing to hear about your experience with the Mesa Hollywood store. I thought/expected that place to be of a higher caliber store. I've owned both the Mark V and the Dual Rec. The Dual is the only amp I regret selling. I played the Mark V for over two years and thereby giving it ample time to gel with me and to learn the monster, but to no avail. Now, I'm not saying it's a bad amp. To be honest, I LOVED channels 1 and 2, but I could not gel with channel 3. And I agree with you, the "thump" was missing for me as well. I prefer my Mark IV over the V.

I own a TC50 head and run it through a Recto 4x12 cab and I honestly can not be any happier. While some may describe it/view it differently than me, to me it's the PERFECT blend of a Mark and Recto. And I'm not saying that was their intent, that's just my opinion. It is one of the BEST amps to come out of Petaluma recently. It has everything you mentioned you're looking for. And from what I've heard, the 100 has even more thump. Bandit2013 on here has a lot of experience with both and could probably provide you with more info, but just knowing what you've said here, what you've had and what you're looking for, I can honestly say you'd be extremely happy with the TC100. Just my 2 cents.

Answers:
1 - Yes
2 - No
3 - The clean is very good

Mesa TC50 Head
Mesa Mark IV 1x12 WB Combo
Mesa Subway Rocket 1x10 Combo
4x12 Recto Slant Cab
2x12 Recto Compact Cab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:01 am 
Donating Member

Thanks!
I've been a Mesa tech since 2006. Now I just repair amps in my spare time, the day job has kind of taken over unfortunately.

I've worked on and owned just about every Mesa amp, but I'm still looking for something different.
High gain with no sloppiness, but lots of chunk.
Stellar cleans that make my Strat want to play the blues all night long.
Great reverb
No pops/squeals/chirps/glitches when switching channels
I don't think I'm asking too much!

I've narrowed my search down to a Royal Atlantic or TC-100 head.
The thing I like about the Royal is that I have the schematic, so I can fix it if it ever breaks.
I'm intrigued by the midi control and separate controls for the TC though.

I should bite the bullet and fly to Oahu to try the TC out.
Or....I could just buy it from Sweetwater and eat the $100 in shipping if I didn't like it......

Hopefully Bandit will chime in about the differences between the RA and TC!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:48 pm 
Mark III

Honestly dude go and try a Diezel VH4. Channel 3 sounds like a Mark series amp but with that big thick massive chunky chest pumping low end that I think your looking for. I’ll probably get banned for saying this, but since owning one I don’t play my Mesa’s anymore they seem inadequate. Although I sometimes run them in stereo and that has ended my tone hunt. For now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:32 am 
Donating Member

For the price of two Mesa amps, the VH4 better be that good. I'd love to try one. I have an Einstein that I really like.

Still love my recto, though.

I just played through a TC50 head, first time I've retried one since they first came out. Real nice amp. Thinking of getting one. I've call it a nice upgrade from the RA, and more recto than Mark. Kind of F50-ish, but with the great addition of the red channel.

Having completely separate controls per channel really makes it.