help with dual rect recording settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cakewalkr7

Reaction score
I got my dual rect about 2 weeks ago. I like it, but I can't seem to dial in the low mid heavy sound. I mean, it has terrific gain and the eq seems to work okay, but no matter what I try with the silicon vs. rectifier, bold vs. spongy, I just can't seem to get that low mid chunk. Now it's time to record and that's the tone I want to get recorded. So, first off, can anyone suggest any settings to help me dial in that tone? Secondly, what is the best method to get that tone to tape when I've finally dialed it in? SM57 straight on or another method? I really want that wall of guitars sound. I'm using an Ibanez RG1527CB 7 string through a 2x12 w/ V30s. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

why? I've never heard that before. and unfortunately, I don't have much of a choice. I don't have a selection of speakers.

V30s don't really stay defined with heavy low-end coming through them. They can tend to crap out on you at times. Of course, normal recording volume won't really push them hard enough to break up, which I assume is OK with you (it is with me).

Have you tried running an EQ pedal in the loop? That way you can just boost the low-mid frequencies you aren't hearing enough of.

Also, an SM57 is a good all-purpose guitar mic, but micing your speaker straight on is probably a bad idea. V30s can be a little "beamy" in my experience, so you're probably better off micing the cab a little further back with the mic angled towards the cone.

Good luck!

Thanks Adam. I'm going to keep playing around with it tonight and we'll see what I can come up with.

Actually, I did a lot of experimentation with recording my setup using an SM57. I recorded about two dozen 30 second clips. Each time, I'd change only the position; angle; or distance of the mic. Examples:

1/2" from grille:
Center cone 90 degrees from grille
Center cone 45 degrees from grille
Edge of dust cap 90 degrees
Center cone 90 degrees
Center cone 45 degrees
Edge cone 90 degrees

1 foot from grille (90 degrees)
Center cone
Cone edge
Center speaker

The results were quite surprising. I found several placements that were not at all pleasing, and several that I liked a lot. Play around with it some, and you'll find the sweet spot for your taste. Even try different speakers in your cab. Some may have slightly different characteristics that will color your recorded tone. I even have a "Signature" spot that I can consistantly get a great sound.

Good luck!

Have you tried orange modern yet? When I'm looking for the sound you described (yes, using v30's with a seven string) I use the orange channel set to modern. I also have it on spongey, using either diodes or tube rec depending on my other settings. Salt to taste.

WillShred

Thanks everyone. No I hadn't tried Modern, but when I got home, that was the first thing I changed and it definitely made a difference for the better. I continued to play with mic placement. I ended up just using 1 SM57 about 4 inches from the grill at about a 15 degree angle. Then I mixed in the same setup but with my JSX. 4 tracks later it had a nice thick tone. When I get it done, I'll post some clips. Thanks again.

WillShred4Food said:
Have you tried orange modern yet? When I'm looking for the sound you described (yes, using v30's with a seven string) I use the orange channel set to modern. I also have it on spongey, using either diodes or tube rec depending on my other settings. Salt to taste.

WillShred
yep thats what i do, its sounds real good.

how i dont care for the 57.....
get a sennheiser e609 and an audix i5. use the exact same
mic placement for both that you like with the 57 and blend em about
equally. omg, it sounds HUGE!

Funny you mention the 609. I bought one of those on someone's recommendation and although I've tried it in every recording situation I've run into since, I just haven't had any luck with it. I've been toying with selling it, but I figure that some day, that one case will come up where it will pay off. Thanks anyway.

cakewalkr7 said:
Thanks. What is that signature spot you refer to?

Bottom right V30 on my top cabinet; on the inside edge of the speaker surround at about half inch from the grille at a 90 degree angle. It gives a very compressed tight crunchy presency sound. Reminds me of an old Marshall on steroids.

Please bear in mind that my Dual Recto is running EL-34's and THD Yellowjackets, so the tone is a bit different to begin with. I'm just trying to encourage you to try a few different spots until either you find one you like, or rule out the 57 altogether.

I'm just trying to encourage you to try a few different spots until either you find one you like, or rule out the 57 altogether.

Agreed.
Real engineers who know what they're talking about use the 57 for the tone you're looking for. I AM NOT KNOCKING OTHER MICS! But for the down tuned palm muting tone you should really stick with a 57. Even though Andy Sneap is strictly a metal engineer, this is the tone you're looking for. Other prominent metal engineers are all over this thread so enjoy:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196714

lol someone on that thread was saying "the 57 is way too harsh on solid state amps, like my peavey with a metal zone."
NO MIC WILL FIX THAT!! its a metal zone thru a peavey!
lmao :)

Back