Suggestions for Subway Blues replacement speaker??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
Hi!
Looking for a suggestion or two about a replacement speaker for a subway blues combo. My MC 90 speaker bit the dust. Looking for something that will cut some of the harsh mid range. I thinking maybe an eminence legend or cannabis rex? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Matt

mdortona said:
Hi!
Looking for a suggestion or two about a replacement speaker for a subway blues combo. My MC 90 speaker bit the dust. Looking for something that will cut some of the harsh mid range. I thinking maybe an eminence legend or cannabis rex? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Matt

These came with an Eminence 1x10 right? Mesa combos by nature are super mid-heavy in tone -- it's just the nature of the beast. That is one of the benefits of the GEQs and the variable contour effect in some models. I know the Sub has the contour mode but that is a preset dirt tone. I think if you're looking to cut mids you will need to look at speaker spec graphs and look for units that dip in the midrange. Don't overlook Jensens' range as some of their stuff does have midrange dips. The other option is to a run an EQ pedal in the loop and pull out the frequency that offends. Or just try Googling for a a 1x10 with the biggest midrange scoop.

I found the stock 10" speaker in my Express 5:25 to sound too middy. I put a Jensen C10Q in the amp which tamed the honk and sounded great but was very inefficient and it sounded kinda "soft" with a band. I replaced that with an Eminence Copperhead and it sounded good. Less mids than the original speaker but more punch than the Jensen.
I finally put a Celestion 10" Gold alnico speaker in the amp and it's just right! Controlled mids, punch, sparkle and chime. Great speaker!

Back