The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mark V ground loop hum?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:04 am 
Donating Member

I'm getting a wicked hum on my 90 Watt Mark V when I plug into the Slave Out, which I do *not* get when I plug into the fx loop send.

Besides the hum, the slave out sounds better for what I'm using it for than the fx loop output, and I also want to be able to this with the fx loop completely disabled.

I'm not sure why one is humming and the other is not. I'm going to try and change tubes and see if that makes a difference anywhere, but does this leap out as any kind of "AHA!" situation that anyone else has run into before.

The hum is annoying on the clean channel and just devastating on channels 2 and 3.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:42 am 
Mark III

dlpasco wrote:
I'm getting a wicked hum on my 90 Watt Mark V when I plug into the Slave Out, which I do *not* get when I plug into the fx loop send.

Besides the hum, the slave out sounds better for what I'm using it for than the fx loop output, and I also want to be able to this with the fx loop completely disabled.

I'm not sure why one is humming and the other is not. I'm going to try and change tubes and see if that makes a difference anywhere, but does this leap out as any kind of "AHA!" situation that anyone else has run into before.

The hum is annoying on the clean channel and just devastating on channels 2 and 3.

What are you using the slave out for? Could you try lifting the ground on one end of the cable your using to go from slave out to whatever it's feeding, or does whatever it's feeding have a ground lift switch maybe?

2 x 12 Vertical Cab
GSP-1101

Gibson LP Studio with alnico ii pro
Schecter C1-XXX with emg 81/85 18v
Jackson Dinky XL with Duncan designed???
Sigma DNC-1STE