I recently traded for a Rocket 440

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoogieHog

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand why these amps don't/didn't get more love! HOW do you make Nomads but, not Rocket 440s? I don't get it.
Awesome amp! Awesome tone!

What were some of the complaints about these amps that kept them from really taking off and being popular? the tone sounds like a Mark IV and a Maverick had a baby. What is NOT to love?

My guess / opinion is that the Rocket was the flag for MESA Electra Dyne (also discontinued). Buyers gets too caught up "latest but greatest" mentality. A perfect good amplifier model is replace with another with more features. But do you really need those extra features if you are pleased with your current sound? Your ego might say "I need the latest model."

I have the 44 which is more or less the same but in 1x12 minus the tremolo. Very nice amps but they didn't really make them for long. Still a few out there on S/H market though and can be had for a good price. Been digging mine since 2011.

IMO, why buy a Rocket when a Mark is the same price? I passed on a Mark III in like new shape for $500 to buy a Mark IV for $450.00 (traded a Twin I paid $450 for). I've owned quite a few Boogie amps and I only use one at a time. Mark IIC++ or Mark IV or JP2C? "Oh, maybe I'll use the "Rocket' tonight" doesn't really compute. I wouldn't consider a Boogie without the 5-band GEQ, that is where I find the magic.

Markedman said:
IMO, why buy a Rocket when a Mark is the same price? I passed on a Mark III in like new shape for $500 to buy a Mark IV for $450.00 (traded a Twin I paid $450 for). I've owned quite a few Boogie amps and I only use one at a time. Mark IIC++ or Mark IV or JP2C? "Oh, maybe I'll use the "Rocket' tonight" doesn't really compute. I wouldn't consider a Boogie without the 5-band GEQ, that is where I find the magic.

Here's a pretty common sort of S/H price for what a MK III with reverb and GEQ goes for in Australia:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16fL1oU2lfApOyEHHMp573fV_VnJcTmAG/view?usp=sharing (2019 edit -- link now out of date but up to $2000 is a common price more in some circumstances)
Rockets go for about $900-$1000 AU (similar to F30s and Studio 22s). A bit more for the 440s (which are rarer). Contour channel is a preset GEQ curve. It uses fixed resistors rather than variable sliders -- only applied to the dirt channel though but it sounds incredible and it's possible to get a good sound across all three channels without moving knobs. Only downside is a very weak reverb sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFuNqFUVCWA

Latest posts

Back