The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:29 pm 
Mark II

I don't understand why these amps don't/didn't get more love! HOW do you make Nomads but, not Rocket 440s? I don't get it.
Awesome amp! Awesome tone!

What were some of the complaints about these amps that kept them from really taking off and being popular? the tone sounds like a Mark IV and a Maverick had a baby. What is NOT to love?

1987 Red Stripe Combo
Mark IVb
Rocket 4Forty
JP2C (#2)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:50 pm 
Single Recto

My guess / opinion is that the Rocket was the flag for MESA Electra Dyne (also discontinued). Buyers gets too caught up "latest but greatest" mentality. A perfect good amplifier model is replace with another with more features. But do you really need those extra features if you are pleased with your current sound? Your ego might say "I need the latest model."

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:02 pm 
Mark II

I have the 44 which is more or less the same but in 1x12 minus the tremolo. Very nice amps but they didn't really make them for long. Still a few out there on S/H market though and can be had for a good price. Been digging mine since 2011.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:47 am 
Donating Member

IMO, why buy a Rocket when a Mark is the same price? I passed on a Mark III in like new shape for $500 to buy a Mark IV for $450.00 (traded a Twin I paid $450 for). I've owned quite a few Boogie amps and I only use one at a time. Mark IIC++ or Mark IV or JP2C? "Oh, maybe I'll use the "Rocket' tonight" doesn't really compute. I wouldn't consider a Boogie without the 5-band GEQ, that is where I find the magic.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:32 am 
Mark II

Markedman wrote:
IMO, why buy a Rocket when a Mark is the same price? I passed on a Mark III in like new shape for $500 to buy a Mark IV for $450.00 (traded a Twin I paid $450 for). I've owned quite a few Boogie amps and I only use one at a time. Mark IIC++ or Mark IV or JP2C? "Oh, maybe I'll use the "Rocket' tonight" doesn't really compute. I wouldn't consider a Boogie without the 5-band GEQ, that is where I find the magic.

Here's a pretty common sort of S/H price for what a MK III with reverb and GEQ goes for in Australia:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16fL1oU2lfApOyEHHMp573fV_VnJcTmAG/view?usp=sharing
Rockets go for about $900-$1000 AU. A bit more for the 440s (which are rarer). Contour channel is a preset GEQ curve. It uses fixed resistors rather than variable sliders -- only applied to the dirt channel though but it sounds incredible and it's possible to get a good sound across all three channels without moving knobs. Only downside is a very weak reverb sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFuNqFUVCWA