Mesa Boogie Subway Blues - Noisy Volume Pot

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunburstb0y

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I have just acquired a minty Subway Blues. The volume pot was scratchy so I put a new one in and guess what, still scratchy. My tech reckons that the pot needs shielding but I cant understand why it would even leave the factory making that much noise. It also feeds back on its own (nothing plugged in) when you max the treble control. I've put in a new set of Mesa tubes so it shouldn't be that. Any ideas or suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

sunburstb0y said:
Greetings everyone. I have just acquired a minty Subway Blues. The volume pot was scratchy so I put a new one in and guess what, still scratchy. My tech reckons that the pot needs shielding but I cant understand why it would even leave the factory making that much noise. It also feeds back on its own (nothing plugged in) when you max the treble control. I've put in a new set of Mesa tubes so it shouldn't be that. Any ideas or suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

Could be a bad coupling capacitor allowing DC voltage through the pot.

sunburstb0y said:
I cant understand why it would even leave the factory making that much noise. .

Seeing that the Subway Blues hasn't been made in about 20 years - I'm wondering what makes you think it left the factory that way??

It could be on the component level, and if not tube related should be addressed by a technician. Thanks!

Back