F-30 vs. DC-3 : Are they the same amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonV05

Reaction score
Besides a couple of "extras" on the DC, are they not the same amps, tonally?

I want an F-30, but the onboard EQ of the DC-3 seems kinda nice!

Similar, but not the same. The F-30, as you might expect, has a much more "modern" sound, for lack of a better term. It's also way less tweakable, which can be a pro or a con, depending on what you are looking for. The real benefits of the DC-3 are as follows:

1. Really nice clean sound that can be VERY clean if you need, all the way up to raunchy. Think VOX driven hard.

2. Overdive is pretty much classic boogie, but with an EL84 twist. The DC-3 has a quartet of EL84s, the F-30 has two. Think VOX on steroids.

3. The DC-3 has the 5-band eq, which gives you tons of options. By way of internal switching you can have the EQ come on automatically when you hit overdrive, or you can have it footswitchable in either of the two channels, which essentially gives you a four mode amp. The eq can also be used as a solo boost, which can be useful.

4. The DC-3 combo is a great, super portable, powerful little beast. When you hook it up to a quad box, it can keep up with any high gain amp out there - it gets HUGE.

I own a DC-3. I also own an F-50. I auditioned the F-30 extensively, and my general impression is that it's a great amp. To my ears though it doesn't have as much clean headroom as the DC-3. I also found the overdrive somewhat anemic and not quite as responsive as the DC-3. Also, the contour on the F-30 is nice, but it's sort of a one-trick feature inasmuch as it's a pre-set scoop.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the DC-3 if you can find one in good condition. For the $, you really can't do much better.

4. INDEPENDENT output controls for both channels, PLUS an overall output master. Lets you get awesome tone at bedroom levels, on an amp that is loud as hell when you need it to be.

ThanX for your opinion. helpfull.. I have to test a dc3 against my f30... I prefer knobs than switches...

Latest posts

Back