Mk V:25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mowgli

Reaction score
Hi guys, quick one here:

I had my power switched on, and on Standby too, whilst i was setting up the rest of my kit, but no cab connected. Just remembered reading that you should never use the amp with the "Speaker On" switch set to "On" without a cab connected!

I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid and that I haven't done any damage, because it still sounds amazing thank god!

On a side note, has anyone played both a JP2C and the 2C+ channels in the 5:25? Because I am astounded at every tone I can get out of this little amp. Wondering if one day it'll be worth the extra cash to go full 4x12 and JP head......

Cheers,
Ben

(think I'm supposed to leave a list of my gear here)
5:25 head
recto 1x12 slant
EII Eclipse 81/60

I have had a 5:25 and now have a JP and the JP is so much more robust than the little guy, I prefer my JP through the vertical 2x12 over my 4x12. The 5:35 (had that too) is a little better than the 25 in IMO on the C+ channel but still not a match for the JP at higher volumes. If all your doing is playing lower volumes not much of a difference in the 3 overall though. On a side note I did just order another 5:25 because I miss the portability of it and I have a couple of additional cabinets now to run it through that may give a different feel or perspective to it. When it shows up next week I can try some side by side comparisons on the same cabs to get a better feel as I did not own them all at the same time previously. I may even run them stereo to see what I get. I have done that with my Mark III Blue stripe and the JP and its pretty darn awesome but loud as can be. I have not regretted getting the JP over the small Mark V's one bit though. As for your power issue if all sounded fine you should be good to go.

Mark

Hi Mark

Cheers for the reply. Interested to see what you think when it's all side by side soon. Sounds like you're about to have quite the set up.

Yeah I'm mainly playing in my house (loudly), but maybe I should upgrade that too, just so i can fit a JP2C into my life. I've just always wanted to own a Mesa 4x12, and having played a few, nothing quite beats that thump or look they have.

Ok got the 5:25, I will first say the 2C+ tone is close to the JP but definitely lacks in low end and feel. Although the 5:25 has a lot of gain it lacks the aggressive gain the JP pumps out. The Mark IV mode was closest to the JP IMO because of the added low end it presents on the 5:25. Played the little guy through 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12 and the obviously it feels the biggest through the 4x12 but really shined through the ported 1x12 compact cab with the EVM in it, added nice low end in a super compact package. In my opinion if I had to have one the JP would be where it’s at but I’m anxious to run them stereo together. They all have a spot that fits for me, each with it’s unique qualities. So long story short if you like the 5:25 I think you’ll love the JP. Good luck.

Awesome thanks Mark.
I'm most surprised by high gain "CRUNCH" mode in channel one of the 25 so far. Massive sounding, and easily thick enough for a rhythm metallica sound, if you wanna leave channel 2 just for lead. It's just so easy to dial whatever you want over the 6 modes. A friend had a Rectoverb 25 combo, and it was nothing in comparison - took way longer to dial in a sound, and definitely lacked a lot.

Will definitely look at the JP and 4x12 combo next, but I'm so stoked with this little 25. Searched for years for this heavy tone and finally have it. Thanks again, Ben

No, you didn’t hurt your amp. You have to play your guitar with stand by off, as if you were playing. You have like 10 seconds or so depending on how loudly you are playing before you do major damage. Similar to running an engine with no oil.

Latest posts

Back