Just got a Maverick, any advice?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4piece

Reaction score
So, I'm finally a 'real' member here - just got my first MB - first tube amp in fact: I'd previously posted about getting a Dual Rect Roadster or something but after hearing various thougths felt is was a poor match for my needs. Instead, I found A 2X12 Maverick. More of the clean-classic rock I was looking for. It had been in storage for years and looks literally brand new. Sounded great, good price, so I bought it.

I was wondering if any other Maverick owners have any thoughts or advice about the care and feeding: Any particular settings they like, mods to try, tube and fuse replacement thoughts.

I did search this board (and others) but the Maverick seems pretty rare - or at least rarely commented on. So, I'm hoping there might be some folks here who have some experience.

Thanks!

Update: OMFG - this amp is insane! I've barely started playing with it and already found tone after tone to love. How is it that this wasn't a huge success for them? It's very easy to use (even for a novice like me), produces sweet cleans and lip-smacking ACDC type Rock (I don't get the whole 'it doesn't do much gain' thing).

Just wow.

One weird thing. I don't know it it's my hearing but it seems like the sound is emanating more from the left than the center. Is that a thing?

Anyway, if you get a chance to try one I would encourage it.

Be well.

Nice score!

It's predecessor is Lonestar Special but I don't dig the multi-watt rectifier assigning. I prefer Maverick 33 watts and and selecting either silicon or tube rectifier.

I'd say 85% of members here wants all-out gain type amp so a Maverick is far from that. It does a great moderate gain.

I assuming you have Celestion Vintage 30s. Great all-around speaker but for my use I find Celestion G12H-30 works great. Breaks up faster if that's what you are looking for.

RR said:
Nice score!

It's predecessor is Lonestar Special but I don't dig the multi-watt rectifier assigning. I prefer Maverick 33 watts and and selecting either silicon or tube rectifier.

I'd say 85% of members here wants all-out gain type amp so a Maverick is far from that. It does a great moderate gain.

I assuming you have Celestion Vintage 30s. Great all-around speaker but for my use I find Celestion G12H-30 works great. Breaks up faster if that's what you are looking for.

Hey, thanks!

Still learning. The biggest thing I'm working on now is how to get the bass to sound tighter. It's pretty flubby on a lot of settings. I'm trying using my Timmy as a OD (totally clean) and lowering the gain on both channels and that seems to help. Very sensitive to different guitars and pups. Tried with an LP with JB's yesterday and it was flubby - like I'm under water. Even the clean channel. However, when I do find good tones they are awesome.

So, do you experience more loudness left of center too (if you have a 2x12)? Thanks and Happy New Year.

Yes the Maverick is a bit flubby /loose in bass region due to the quartet of EL84s. Power section is like Vox AC30. Trade-off you get warm jangle tone at the expense its a bit loose. I personally don't mind the looseness.

Look at the back of the chassis and select "Silicon" instead of the "Tube" on the rectifier toggle switch if it isn't set already. This will tighten the tone. Also depending how old those EL84s will cause a loose tone.

For some background on the Maverick it was MESA amp representative in Guitar Player Magazine Blues Amp Shoot Out a while back. They usually don't participate in Shoot Outs.

Also play with the "Mids" setting. If there's one thing I struggle with newer MESA amps its its interactive with the tone controls me coming from a "vintage amp background."

Put all the tone controls at 12 o'clock and adjust accordingly to your liking. This tip is for any Rectifier series MESA Engineering amps.

RR said:
Yes the Maverick is a bit flubby /loose in bass region due to the quartet of EL84s. Power section is like Vox AC30. Trade-off you get warm jangle tone at the expense its a bit loose. I personally don't mind the looseness.

Look at the back of the chassis and select "Silicon" instead of the "Tube" on the rectifier toggle switch if it isn't set already. This will tighten the tone. Also depending how old those EL84s will cause a loose tone.

For some background on the Maverick it was MESA amp representative in Guitar Player Magazine Blues Amp Shoot Out a while back. They usually don't participate in Shoot Outs.

Also play with the "Mids" setting. If there's one thing I struggle with newer MESA amps its its interactive with the tone controls me coming from a "vintage amp background."

Put all the tone controls at 12 o'clock and adjust accordingly to your liking. This tip is for any Rectifier series MESA Engineering amps.

Thanks so much for the tips - I can really use them. Honestly, I think I got the wrong amp for me. I don't like flubbiness at all and since this is my first tube amp it may be too difficult for me to really use well. It's a shame because it is literally like new - not a mark on it. I was looking for something that goes from clean to classic rock and had been directed to this amp. My guess is it does do that but you need to be much more skilled than I am to make it sing.

Thank you so much for your responses! Have a happy new year.

Before you give up on the Maverick check your tone control setting (Treble, Mid, Bass). A bad setting will also result in "flubbiness".

MAKE SURE YOU SET THE RECTIFIER TO "SILICON" Setting!

Also you make think about getting a set of EL84 tubes. If those are worn, then it will result in flubbiness. This is the consequences owning a tube amp. Tubes eventually will wear result in deteriorating tone. Have a tech check it out if you could afford it.

If this is your first tube amp, you have to experience in deteriorate tone after a few years of use. Maintenance is part of owning a tube amp (unfortunately).

I'd sure like to hear what you are hearing so I could tell you if that's normal or worn tubes, bad setting etc ...

To me, you would have to A/ B and compare it to other tube amps.

I'm happy with this amp for what you said, the cleans and the moderate gain are awesome. I like "warm" clean NOT "sterile clean". I like a mild gain. This amp does this really well.

Good Luck.

Back