Thinking about trading my V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoogieHog

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about trading my Mark V for a IVa.

Is that a decision I'll regret? Should I just be good with what I have or is the IVa really a better Amp?

You seem to have some interesting amps in your line up.

I am not sure what the differences are between the IVa and the IVB. I had the widebody IVB at the same time I had the Mark V. I liked the Mark V over the Mark IV but for other reasons than you would think. However I had read somewhere that the Mark IVa lead channel was voiced more like the IIC+ than the widebody version. I liked the Mark IV but not enough to want to keep it as a barely ever used it since I got the Mark V. Do I miss it, not really. The Mark III was more of a jem but sold that before getting the Mark V. I often consider selling my V but have not convinced myself to do so as I have found new life in the amp with a simple tube swap. Still the JP-2C just draws me in to the point I can get lost in its tone for hours on end. Compared to the Mark V, I grow tired of the tone in a short time. However, it does blend well in a mix and it has some flavors the other amps do not.

As for the IVa, if you can find one and you can actually get a chance to play though it, only you can decide if you like it more or less than the Mark V. Would be cool to actually compare them side by side which would make the decision much easier. The Mark IVb that I had was capable of running EL34 and 6L6 at the same time (similar to the Mark III). Also (but have not tried it) I think it was possible to use a pair of 6V6 using the amp in Tweed power. (it was in the manual somewhere...) Not sure if the IVa had the same Sinul-Class power section.

Some advice, if you are thinking about dropping the V, put it away for a while and only play through your other amps. Give that at least two weeks or longer. Then go back to it. If you feel the same way about it then you have at least been without it for a bit of time. If you do not like it after firing it back up then you can decide to sell/trade it for something else.

Suggestion: Before getting rid of your V, try some preamp tube rolling first. Swapping the stock preamp tubes made a big difference with my V combo.

Also try EL34s ( on Varaic Power )

I have had MKIIs / IIIs / LSS , The II was a LONG time amp the III sounded killer I wanted more variety without the pedals when I went amp shopping a few months ago the V35 sounded killer , Then I played a V all the rest are gone.

Latest posts

Back