150 watt practice amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crunchychunkycreamy

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. Triple rec guy. Had it for almost two years now. Love my amp... Really, really love it.
Anyway, I was contemplating picking up a small recto for practice but honestly I really just like using my recto and 4x12 in my living room at low volume. I switch it to 50 watt so the volume knob isn't so sensitive and play it at "television" volume. I'm not really comfortable leaving it at the practice space so I drag it back and forth. It gets played through everyday and if I'm at home it's either on stand by or being played through.
What I am wondering is if there is any harm in doing this? I know it's made for playing with a live band but I really like using it at low volume as opposed to a practice amp because it just sounds so **** good... Even at low volume... lately I have been wondering if it is bad for the amp to run it at such low volumes all the time (except most friday nights, then it gets a proper workout)...
Any insights appreciated. Thanks.

If you like using it as a practice amp and it makes you happy then great! It's a little much for me to use a half stack as a practice amp in my home office, but I'm not you!

Enjoy.

Thanks for the reply Deeman.
I was wondering if there is actually any harm in running it at such low power all the time just because it's not really what it's made for... My guess is it probably not. Besides, I bought it to use it, not baby it. Thanks again.

I’m using Roadster or Electra-Dyne to practice at home :) with 2x12 or 4x12 cab or both if nobody else is at home... and I don’t have any reason why should I want a smaller practice amp.

Of course next thing that has caught my attention is the cabclone:)

No you won't be doing it any harm at all. For the record i've got a Mini Rec and it's ok for quiet home practise apart from Modern mode - It won't do that quietly... I've never tried a big Rectifier but i have heard from numerous people that they are in some ways better for quiet home use. So stick with what you have if you are happy with it :)

crunchychunkycreamy said:
Thanks for the reply Deeman.
I was wondering if there is actually any harm in running it at such low power all the time just because it's not really what it's made for... My guess is it probably not. Besides, I bought it to use it, not baby it. Thanks again.

You won't do any harm playing it at lower volumes. You won't get the same tone playing it quietly and that is a reason many people don't use it as a practice amp...and the size. :)

Enjoy it in good health.

Back